Toll roads and the law

How then does the extra space help the heart patient?

You still miss the point.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

But (ICBW) the laws of the road still apply

Reply to
geoff

It's not just physical ability. Some people have mental health problems that necessitate spaces close to the entrance, as disabled spaces generally are.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The extra space is for the wheelchair and users of other mobility aids. The closeness to the store entrance is to help those who can't walk far, including, but not limited to those with pneumoconioisis or other lung diseases (Miners' lung and Farmers' lung are two common, non jargon names), and heart problems. Did you not notice the way that once they got into the dry, your "jogging" disabled people stopped for a breather on the seats just inside the store doors?

Reply to
John Williamson

OMG

Roads populated by agrophobics that freak out if they are out in the open.

Methinks any fruitcake that is incapable of walking a few yards over open ground is definately not stable enough to drive.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I've seen many signs in car parks warning people that the Road Traffic laws apply in the car park.

Reply to
John Williamson

No

Actually some of the spaces for the disabled are further away than the standard spaces at my local Asda. Guess what, every user seems to manage to display a blue badge on those spaces, whereas those opposite the entrance seem to be taken up by what most uninformed individuals would assume are fit healthy people who are just too embarassed to display a badge advertising their condition.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Hadn't heard of the over-90 bit. Which is actually pertinently crazy. My to-be-90-in-a-few-weeks mother can walk from car to supermarket with far fewer issues than my partner!

Reply to
polygonum

Irrelevant. Anywhere that the public has access is subject to the RTA, with specific exemptions for motor sport events organised by recognised bodies - autotests often take place in car parks for instance.

Traffic Act 1991

Motor Vehicles (Off Road Events) Regulations 1995

The Other Mike

On Feb 18, 10:52=A0pm, H. Neary wrot= e:

ote:

I've rarely seen a wheelchair user at the supermarket and the space reserved for blue badge holders could be better distributed so as to provide more spaces for those who struggle with walking nearest to the store door. Those with wheelchairs do not require this close proximity. I've tried to use a manual chair to ease the strain. It's more taxing than walking slowly for me. I have heart failure, thickening of the septum and lung fibrosis along with muscle pain and weakness. I can barely stand for much of the time and an episode to the supermarket can leave me in bed for four days to recover. With a closer location for parking space, I could use the shops more frequently and be less at risk from the extended exhaustion, pain and weakness which commonly follows. Of course I don't use a wheelchair so you can accuse me of lead-swinging!

Reply to
thirty-six

On Feb 18, 11:30=A0pm, H. Neary wrot= e:

rote:

Sometimes I don't.

Reply to
thirty-six

No, it's to provide room for people with limited mobility. Whether they need articifial aids or not is irrelevant.

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and diagnose my condition:

jgharston

You look legless. Perhaps you took too big of a swig.

Reply to
thirty-six

I think I once read that if the pvblic have generally unrestricted access to a sort of "driving area", it's classed as a pvblic highway. A car park with tolls and barriers can be considered to be totally private, but I'm not certain about things like if you leave your untaxed vehicle in Asda's car park for a few fortnights.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Should people with "mental health problems" automatically be driving? Why should it be necessary to park "close to the entrance"? I ask this in the sincerest form...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Piles and mental problems.

The pained expression is a dead givaway for the piles. The blue tinge to your skin suggests cyanosis or poor colour correction of the photo.

The mental problems are given away by the glazed eyes and a hankering for eight bit processors.

Incidentally the wooly had would more than qualify you for as short and unnoticable trip as possible to the cover of the building. They can have a cruel sense of humour round these parts.

HTH

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hmm, that would be bizarre.. I'd imagine the acceleration needed to reach any speed in a car park might well be fatal from the g forces.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So define access. If race tracks can be hired for a fee then the public have access. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm told this is quite true. I have a legitimate blue badge and my driver can never find a bay. When you are guiding a blind person, the problems are quite obvious I'm told. Not only do the parking bays get filled, but the people driving around the car park seem to think they can drive through pedestrians as well. I suspect this is because they hare too busy looking for a space their mind is not watching out for pedestrians. The guide on the other hand is busy watching out for places where their charge might twist an ankle or things they might bump into, like wing mirrors that are as big as elephants ears and towing hooks.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff