UK TOLL charge??

Hi All,

A couple of local organisations are arranging meetings via Teams / WebEx which off er the option for invitees to dial in by phone.

One includes the text

?Tap to join from a mobile device (attendees only)

+44-20-7660-8149,,1752666438#67393877# United Kingdom Toll?

The wording to my mind suggests that this would be a Premium Rate number. But it appears to start 020 Which doesn?t ?sound? premium to my ears (but maybe I?ve not been paying attention).

Does anyone know if this WILL be a premium number?

And if so, do WebEx / Teams have the same charging structure for all users or does it vary according each organisation?s contract?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

No idea but apparently legit NHS organisations appear to use it:

Their website says it is calls charged at local rates but then they probably cannot imagine anyone outside London dialing in!

No idea. Corporate IT/accounts takes care of paying for it here.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's a standard 0207 number, which is chargeable at normal landline call rate. You would be charged if, for example, your mobile phone contract had limited landline minutes and you had run out.

It's not a premium rate call, for sure.

Reply to
Scion

I don't read it that way.

And full context might help. E.g. in the USA "toll" is routine usage and just makes explicit it's not "toll-free".

Reply to
Robin

I think their wording is just "toll" as opposed to "toll-free 0800" so it's a chargeable call, but not a premium rate, so depending on what call bundles/minutes you have, chargeable doesn't necessarily result in you being charged ...

yes, it's just a normal London number, charged like any other 01/02/03 call.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not sure about that. Some sources say it is a local rate number. (although they are London based organisations saying it)

Reply to
Martin Brown

There's no longer 'local rate' is there? Charging is either 'geographical' (i.e. starts 01, 02 or 03) or something else such as 08 (which is a can of worms), 07 (which is mostly mobile) or whatever.

Reply to
Chris Green

My mobile phone preferentially connects via my internet hub, so costs no extra for calls, conference or video.

Reply to
jon

No extra for conference or video but mobile calls/texts are still chargeable at normal ripoff rates

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other such UK numbers have

United Kingdom Toll

United Kingdom Toll 2

United Kingdom Toll free

which suggests different charging rates.

Reply to
alan_m

is toll call not an American thing meaning you pay ?

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Oh No... my messages are all through Signal, Telegram or WhatsApp messengers.

Reply to
jon

other people will text you over the mobile and may require replies and any voice calls are still chargeable. Not everyone is on whatsapp or skype.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For business lines there's no per minute difference between local/national or day/evening/weekend calls any more, just geographic

01/02 and non-geographic 03 calls all charged at a single rate 24x7

But for residential lines there's still a difference between local/national, day/evening/weekend rates, so that Teams number could potentially be cheaper for some customers than others if they're in London, but it won't be premium for anyone.

For chapter and verse see "the" price list, inland call charges subparts

1 and 2, obviously non BT/openreach suppliers may vary

Worth reminding that there are various nasty price exceptions to look out for within 00/05/07/08/09 ranges ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's what I thought, but on checking there *is* still a local rate for residential customers

03 is non-geograpical, but *must* be same price as national, and must count to inclusive bundles in the same way.

The old concept of regional codes *are* gone, so maybe it's now reduced to same dialling code = local, anything else beginning 01/02 = national?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So it will be HTML formatted so you don#t need to copy and paste the number on a mobile device, it will just dial

so in old money thats

020-7660-8149

No, "Toll" just means "charged for". In the USA it was/is common for local numbers not to be charged for.

It isn't

No normal geographic number. So on my landline it would be 25p +

15p/minute on my mobile I have unlimited calls to such numbers so no cost.

I think they are all the same.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

020 is a standard London number.
Reply to
Tim Streater

When you say outside London, did you mean rest of UK or rest of World?

because if the former, you do know that "Local" call rates no longer exist and that all UK Landline calls are charged at a single National Rate

Reply to
tim...

what's a "residential" customer?

Reply to
tim...

and how does one achieve this tariff?

BT marketing for new LL's clearly says that calls cost 20p/min day or night

Reply to
tim...