Toilet refurb: outlet problems

The downstairs toilet is due a refurb.

The current pan has a built-in outlet which disappears vertically into the drain set in the floor but I've only seen replacements in places like B&Q with a horizontal outlet. However, I'm told there are adaptors to turn the horizontal outlet into a vertical one.

The question is: do they work well and fit easily, or are they a bodge? If they're a bodge, can anyone direct me to an inexpensive source of a suitable pans please?

If I can use an adaptor, will the new pan and cistern still fit up against the wall, or will there be issues?

TIA

Ive got one on mine and I would imagine loads of people do .They are just a piece of pipe with a short horizontal bit and a longer vertical bit you push the outlet on the pan in to the short bit and the other end fits in to the bit that comes up through the floor ...suitable sealed with some material .I think I used Plumbers Mait . I dont recall it causing any fitting issues.......

This is probably waht you are looking for ...

?mode=2:Level2=7:Level3=BS:SubDesc=WC's+-+Pan+Connectors

Stuart

?mode=2:Level2=7:Level3=BS:SubDesc=WC's+-+Pan+Connectors>>>>
> > Stuart

There is also one with more of a 'swan neck' shape (hopefully the 'solids' can make a sharp bend). Seen yesterday in B&Q when I was pondering the same issue.

John

Reply to
John

"bent pan connectors"

They're OK but not as neat as what you have now.

You may have "issues". Measure up first, and I'd go to a proper plumbers merchant rather than B&Q. You may be able to get a pan like the one you have now (S trap). You may be able to trim the pan. You may be able to use a swan-necked pan connector.

Do you really need to change what you've got? There's plenty of tarting up you can do (chrome or "gold" flush pipe, seats, different cistern...).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Work well enough IMHO. Most have rubber seals so they are a simple push fit onto the pan.

Depends on the relative dimensions of the old and new pans and cisterns and where the outlet of the new one ends up relative to the hole in the floor.

Go to B&Q and buy a selection of straight and bent pan connectors. Later, you can return any (unused) that you don't need, for a refund.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks for the help. Looks like there will be less of a problem than I imagined (famous last words...!).

Is that a term for a gay plumber?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm confused. How is a whistling plumber relevant?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

And can he whistle the Dabrowski Mazurka?

Reply to
Guy King