Toilet connection problem looming

I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that discharges downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor.. The porcelain of the toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have bought a new close coupled toilet which discharges horizontally like all modern toilets. The 2nd issue is that as the close coupled toilet will be nearer the wall, I can't get onto the floor waste inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the new WC. The soil stack is internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to the left of the WC as I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing off the soil stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet sideways?

Reply to
wounded horse

As far as I can see, you've got 3 options:

  1. Use the existing floor socket with a 90 degree connector on the pan - and build a box or something to space the cistern out from the wall so that everything lines up. [Probably the easiest]
  2. Move the floor socket nearer to the wall [Are the underfloor pipes clay or plastic? Is the floor solid or floorboards? - not too bad if its plastic pipes under floorboards, otherwise probably not on]
  3. Blank off the existing floor connection and connect into the stack instead - involving removing the boxing and inserting a branch. [Bit of a fun job, that!]
[4. Don't even *think* about a Macerator!]
Reply to
Set Square

I had exactly this problem when I replaced the toilet bowl and cistern in my downstairs loo. The floor was solid and I didn't fancy digging it up! First of all I bought a flexible soil pipe to connect from the horizontal outlet from the toilet bowl and down into the sewer pipe. This meant that I could get the cistern as close to the wall as possible. I then bought a sheet of ply to create a false wall behind the cistern. fixed it to the side walls with battens and put a shelf across the top. Works a treat and looks just fine. This was in a narrow downstairs cloakroom where I could insert the false wall right across between the two walls. If you are doing a similar job in a wider room then you would have to create some form of box behind the cistern.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

What about an offset waste adapter? You don't tell us the amount of misalignment, but if it is a few centimetres an offset adapter could take it out. Also, there are 90degree waste adapter pipes, but also swan-necked 90degree waste adapter pipes which allow you to set a loo further back than possible with a standard 90 degree adapter.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

2 & 3 would be particularly problematic, if as in our house, the soil stack is made of cast iron..

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

All suggestions are gratefully received. The best suggestion for me is the one where I create a false wall and shelve the top. Excellent as I have had to insert a branch into a boxed stack before and it was a horrible job that took 3 times longer than I thought. Alos, I might have a look at how easy the floor comes up when I've had a vinyl tile or 3 up and see about moving the floor fitted soil inlet.

Thanks again

Reply to
wounded horse