Todays whinge - Security floodlights.

I presume the lamp in ours failed last night (typically just as we'd spotted a hedgehog).

Of course went to replace it, and the cover is screwed on (not bolted).

Of course years of weathering meant "in your dreams".

So I'll replace the whole thing.

Again.

Although to be fair SWMBO did recall it was fitted in 2007, so "mustn't grumble".

Devils own job getting a grown-up replacement. An awful lot of this LED s**te.

So the twin spare pack of lamps I bought in 2003 remains unopened.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Go on what's wrong with the LED offerings?

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I was wondering that. A 30W LED floodlight claims to be equivalent to a

250W halogen light and 30W is not the most powerful available.
Reply to
Colin Bignell

I have drilled right through the rusted in bolt and used a cable tie threaded through the holes after replacing the lamp. Mine had pozidrive heads so centering the drill was easy.

Reply to
John J

Might as well give those spare lamps a chance and not waste money.

I once found some corn plasters in the street and rather than waste them when I needed some new work boots I just bought a pair of boots that were a size too small for me.

Reply to
ARW

Possibly burning through 30p per 2 hours of usage and a lower power LED replacement unit may save money.

For most people all they were doing with the halogen floodlights was annoying the neighbours and heating up the atmosphere :)

Reply to
alan_m

Gerrout!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ouch :-)

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I replaced the 150W halogen that was on the front of my garage, with a

30W LED, on the grounds that numerically they were supposed to have a similar light output. In reality 20W would have been more than adequate.
Reply to
John Rumm

That's pretty well been my experience. Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

... and now with LED ones they're just annoying the neighbours! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes :)

Why do people install them at top floor gutter level?

I have a 10W LED mounted approx 0.5m above my back door and angled downwards and it illuminates around half my 20 metre garden - OK not enough light to read a book at the beam limit but enough so you don't fall over anything.

The house opposite (back garden to back garden) has a halogen mounted just below gutter and that comes on at random periods during the night illuminating half the street :)

Reply to
alan_m

Airgun

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

John Rumm brought next idea :

+1

They are also fully sealed, so no bolts to seize up, in fact nothing to maintain or need repair. What's not to like?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Nothing wrong with gutter level, providing they are carefully aimed down.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

High installation is not the problem. The supplied mounting bracket (and wide angle reflector) usually prevents the illumination being restricted to your own property:-(

Compounded by the movement detector functional positioning.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

As above - airgun. They are fitted by inconsiderate idiots, that do not understand just how annoying their lights are. We have one half a mile away, set up to illuminate their back garden, which shines in our kitchen window.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

The short bit of cable they always come with :(

Needing something like

join it to your wiring.

Cheaper (lower current) versions on Ebay but they tend to be physically a lot smaller and can be PITA to install balancing up a ladder :(

Reply to
alan_m

After having a cheapie chinese LED flood that only lasted a year or so, I bought a 30W iSpot, I don't think screwfix still sell them, or know whether Brackenheath still make that model, but it's been good for over 5 years

Andy Burns