Todays whinge - Security floodlights.

I fitted a 10W LED for a friend; it was £10 from B&Q and is rewirable (need to use flex, not FT&E). That lights up about 20' or so with about a 5 deg. uptilt and isn't dazzling even from 10' away. Ran 3&E to the PIR so that a 2-gang switch can bypass the PIR (I use a

2-gang so that the system can be turned off locally rather than at the CU, otherwise a 2-way 1-gang would do).
Reply to
PeterC

Had to with one - cladding on the single-skin 1st. floor and I wasn't going to drill into that. Advantage is that the overhang gives a lot of protection to the PIR and lamp.

Reply to
PeterC

My two need to light only the side of the house and a bit of the garden, so I use bulkhead fittings, E27, with 9W wide angle R63s and set them about 3m up. Surprising amount of spread but not dazzling even when getting close. If I wanted less pread I'd use GU10s.

Reply to
PeterC

I noticed CPC had one with a built-in JB:

The problem I found was that it is quite fiddly to wire (three terminals in a triangular pattern down the end of a tub), and there is no access to the switched live, so you can't add a manual override or combine switching with other units.

Reply to
John Rumm

Following the discussion here, I've opted for a PIR/Smart LED floodlight.

It's all fitted, but I think I'll need to wait till dark to set up the smart bit.

While I'm here, what would the group suggest to protect the external junction I now need ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A Wiska junction box (available from TLC). I have ones doing exactly the same job for two fittings

Reply to
charles

You can't use it much if you don't object to replacing those strip lamps every other month...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Those with sensors often don't allow them to be tilted down enough. Even at about 2.5m above ground level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

One of mine simply failed. But it was quite an early LED. Replacement is a lot better, though. They're not much used - no motion sensing etc. Just an on off switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Plenty of weatherproof JBs on TLC etc.

Reply to