timber split

Hi,

I decided to do some last-minute DIY yesterday so dashed to Wickes and bought some of their CLS, IIRC 38x63mm. It was 2.4m long, so it fit inside the car just. It looked ok in the store. I left it outside but under cover (the carport) overnight and this morning there was splits parallel with the grain. I'm guessing it is something to do with going from a warm store to a cold night outside? What did I do wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again? Should I have bought it inside last night?

I was hoping to use it for a stud wall. I don't suppose the splits are more than a couple of mm deep but I don't want my wall falling down! Would it be ok to use or am I best to exchange it tomorrow?

TIA & Happy Easter.

Reply to
Fred

Probably it was split already and the humidity just opened it up.

No problem in a stud wall at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt whether the splits are significant - but 38 x 63 sounds a bit marginal for use in a stud wall. I would have thought that 75 x 50 (or 3 x 2 in real money) would have been more suitable. How big is the wall going to be?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thats what its sold for - stud walling. Gives a wall of 88mm with 12.5mm PB. Very common in new builds - you have to be careful when drilling or you can go through t'other side.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I imagine you just didn't notice the splits before. CLS is kiln dried at source, so a few cracks are inevitable. I don't think any significant movement would occur in that short a time.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's only a small wall 8' by 6' wide if that. I am having to dismantle it to insert noggins and studs for shelves. It was built with just a narrow frame around the edge and nothing in the middle!

That size CLS is sold by Wickes as for stud work. I agree it sounds small and would not be my first choice. However, that is the width used throughout the house, so I am trying to keep my wall consistent with all the other walls to avoid confusion in the future and none of the timber merchants were open yesterday.

The splits seem to be near the edge and I didn't notice them at the time. I thought I had a good look to make sure I didn't get anything too warped. I thought the splits were cosmetic only and although ugly, they will be hidden inside the wall, but I thought it best to check with people who know more than me, so thanks everyone for the reassurance.

Reply to
Fred

Wickes' is a very dry environment and to be plunged into the real world overnight must have been very traumatic for the poor little CLSs.

Use black pbd screws and if the damp doesn't put it over the edge you'll be OK. Let it stand another couple of days and see if the stuff flakes over.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

its a non-issue, you ca use all sorts of substandard stuff for internal framing

NT

Reply to
NT

Except for the banana shaped wood they sell, unless you want curved walls ;)

Is that why planer/thicknessers are appearing in all the sheds now, so that you can straighten all the bent wood that they sell?

Reply to
Fred

That is why on my build I specified 140 x 38 CLS for all my stud work

Reply to
Rick Hughes

you can even use some of that!

NT