This week's project...

So a mate says "If I brought round my Dovecot, could you mend it?"

So I thought its worth a look.

"What's wrong with it?"

"It got left outside!"

(which one would have thought was not unexpected for a bird house you are supposed to mount on a pole in the garden)

So did a bit of a post mortem on it... yup its pretty shagged beyond sensible repair. Not helped by its original builder starting with a subframe of non water proof ply, before giving it a roof that would be as effective at keeping the rain out as a colander!

So I suggested that I use it as a rough pattern, and build a new one from scratch.

Here is how it came out (and the remains of the old one):

another view:

Click images for a bigger view.

(I can do build instructions if anyone wants them)

Remind me not to make a hexagonal building again!

Mostly built from scrap - 4m of 4x2 resawn to make shiplap, and some 1" x 1.25" timber for the framing. Some reclaimed exterior 1/2" OSB for the interior partitions, floors, and roof boards, and 5 roof slates chopped up for the roof, with some real lead flashing. The finial was a cut down and reshaped part of a table leg.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm scribbled

Duck island next ?

Reply to
Jonno

Might not be a daft idea... every year, we get a pair of the most stupid ducks come and camp out on our pond. Every year they lay their eggs on the top of the wall that surrounds it, such that they are either eaten by the first bit of passing wildlife, bake in the sun, or simply roll off and smash; give them an island and they may manage to reproduce... still not exactly selection of the fittest!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Nice:-)

Word of warning to the unwary.

White Doves breed and are very much attached to their place of birth. Initially 2 becomes 4 seems innocuous but 4 to and 8 to 16 brings hard words from annoyed neighbours.

Of course more rural dwellers may appreciate a source of protein:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds like he was ripped off. What indeed was the point of building an outdoor item out of non waterproof materials.

What exactly is the point of these things in any case, surely not self respecting dove would use such a device? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Mallards lay 10 or more eggs in a clutch. The odd mishap will not affect their survival:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A friend of mine managed to persuade "his" to move on, seems they're more attached to food provided elsewhere than place of birth ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hmm... we had in infestation in an old hay loft. No food provided.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But they cost £1645. Best just hide it in the expenses as a pond feature.

Reply to
ARW

We've had one nest behind the "Bear's britches" outside our front door for the last 2 years.

Reply to
Huge

Quite possibly - the original was not cheap either. The design was also at fault since there was no flashing to protect the roof joints - so there was always going to be water ingress at the angle changes. Since the original roof was just made from softwood feather edge, it also started to cup and that just made matters worse.

A layer of roofing felt under it would have made a world of difference.

Don't know - not really my thing.

Reply to
John Rumm

How do you get in to tie the chicks leg to the frame?

Reply to
dennis