Bespoke thin steel washer?

I've got a metal guide which clamps around and through a hole in some plastic (guide for a locking bar in a caravan external front locker).

The plastic is broken and can barely hold the metal part.

The simplest solution seems to be to fit a thin and wide metal washer to spread the load and allow the remaining plastic bits to support the broken area. The metal bit is two plates, one with studs the other with holes, and a spacer in the middle which fits inside the hole. Not that much free adjustment on the stud/nut but enough for one washer. Stacking more than one might be an issue.

O.K. - now for the washer (or similar).

I am reluctant to make my own because of the requirement to make a proper circular hole in a piece of metal - the tolerances are fairly fine.

Sods law suggests that nobody will make a washer which has the hole size I require.

Any alternatives?

I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out of sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding cheap.

Will post dimensions in a bit; just trawling for alternative suggestions in case sod's law turns out to be accurate.

Also, I will check that the solution I have visualised over night will actually work.

Every time you fix something, two other things break.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You should be able to make a nice round hole in thin steel if you clamp it very firmly between two thicker pieces of steel and drill through the lot. I reckon you could even do it with two pieces of hardwood.

Any chance of a photograph? I mean of the problem, not of yourself, although that would be OK as well if it pleases you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Depends which bits.

Drill bits, of course.

My (possibly wrong) starting assumption was that the hole was too big for any of my drill bits.

Busy with other stuff for a bit, and very reluctant to open the locker again in case I can't close the bugger.

Will post a picture and dimensions in a while.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to try the obvious and see if someone does sell the relevant size first?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What size holes? Q-max cutters (or clones) for reasonable sizes ain't that expensive, compared to a press.

The dimensions required might help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly. How thin is thin? It sounds to me as though you might want "penny washers", readily available in stainless as well as plated steel in various metric sizes. Try eBay.

Reply to
newshound

AKA Mudguard washers.

Reply to
Nightjar

Dimensions:

Hole - 30.92 mm (also size of spacer)

Plate external diameter - 33.85mm

Thickness of all 3 metal parts - about 1.21mm

Just about to try and load some pictures onto the FAQ.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

A number of files uploaded to the DIY FAQ.

Apologies for the grungy links. I'm sure that there is a better, faster and easier way of doing things but I'm still floundering my way around the site.

My current thinking is that if I can replicate the spacer in a broader piece of metal approximately 1 mm - 1.25 mm thick then this should do the trick. The holes can be slightly larger because a snug fit isn't required and the plate (not washer) can be a reasonably random shape as long as it just covers the flat bits.

If I make it large enough then it could form a back support when I try and fix the plastic back together. Which will be the next problem as it has no doubt stretched and distorted whilst breaking. I assume fibreglass may be the way to go, or car body filler.

Anyway, does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Can you not replace the whole mechanism? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , David writes

For something like that plastic repair, I'd always use epoxy, possibly with the metal support one side and glass fibre in the resin at the back.

This, of course, assumes it doesn't need to flex a bit in use.

Reply to
Bill

Ooh no you can't do it with a drill bit. You must use a step drill. Buy two, one with odd numbers of mm, the other with even numbers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why not make a large metal patch and glue and screw it to the back of the broken plastic bit to fully cover the hole and crack - perhaps covering the whole back of of the plastic fixing point. Open up a Cola can with a craft knife and pair of scissors to get a nice flat bit of thin pliable metal that you can shape to the contours of the fixing. Once glued and screwed in (small self tapping screws?) you can cut out the hole with a craft knife and needle file.

Irrespective of what you try, drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it extending.

alan_m

Metal cutting hole saws? Cut for the outside diameter first and then do the centre with a smaller cutter.

Not known for a tidy finish though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How do you find each file in wiki?

Reply to
FMurtz

It isn't the mechanism that is broken, it is the plastic moulding on the inside of the locker door.

I could, perhaps, order a new one from Hymer in Germany (likewise with the mechanism) but that would just (at considerable expense) reinstate a design which, on a brand new caravan, has already failed.

I need a temporary fix anyway whatever the final solution.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

If it is brand new why are you expecting to pay for it? Can you not get the supplier/manufacturer to repair it as it has proved unsatisfactory.

Is there room around the locker just to keep it closed with a suitable length ratchet strap for the time being.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Just over a year old now.

There will be a discussion, but the service agent is 2.5 hours drive away so non-trivial to visit.

I need a temporary solution. Unfortunately bungee cords probably won't do it as there are no suitable attachment points.

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David