The real reason for lower powered vacuum cleaners..

is so that whatever the EU sweeps under the carpet, stays there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Watts

I have a little sympathy, but as usual, the EU did it all wrong.

Max cleaning power (air watts and the other factors) was achieved in vacuum cleaners running at 1600W from some manufacturers. Cleaners above 1600 watts did not achieve better performance - it was just that some other manufacturers needed higher power (in some cases significantly higher) to achieve same cleaning power. Consumers should be made aware of this by means of A-G energy ratings, but banning products solely on this basis was not appropriate - efficiency is not the only basis on which consumers choose products. It was pretty impossible to choose vacuum cleaners on the basis of efficiency and the EU should have fixed that missing information at point of sale. Similarly, they could have rated noise output, which is also something that is difficult to find out in a comparative way before purchase, and may be important for some purchases, but not others.

However, just like with washing machines beforehand, they took a blinkered view and missed the whole picture.

Ratings should include a factor for lifetime of the appliance, which if spare parts are available, could factor in extended life achieveable by repairing the appliance at a cost of, say, no more than half the original purchase price. It should also include a factor for cost of consumables (bags, filters that need replacing, etc). They missed this, just like they missed the significant reduction in life of clothes washed in low water content 'efficient' washing machines, which require the production of more clothes, which uses enormous quatities of energy, and water to grow cotton, for example.

And I can't believe vacuum cleaners are a significant use of energy at point of use at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

+1000

A rating for guaranteed availability of parts and design lifetime would do far more for the planet than dicking about with a few 100W.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Buy one of these if the domestic ones aren't powerful enough:

I used to have one in a factory. It would run off a 13 amp socket, but it had two motors and the switch was arranged so that they would come on one at a time, in order that the start-up current wouldn't blow the fuse.

Reply to
Nightjar

I pass a kirby vacuum cleaner shop but nothing or very littel seems to be i n the shop apart from a couple of desks a PC and trays on the floor with va rious test granuals. I've never seen a customer in the shop and although so meone's sitting there it never seems to be open.

I've not heard anyone talk about them or how they are differnt from other c leaners.

Anyone know ?

whisky-dave

whisky-dave wrote

There's plenty of info on the interweb about Kirby.

Reply to
Jabba

be in the shop apart from a couple of desks a PC and trays on the floor wit h various test granuals. I've never seen a customer in the shop and althoug h someone's sitting there it never seems to be open.

No thre isn't.

I just don't know of anyone with a kirby or anyone here that has asked about them it's always dyson, Vax or Henry.

can you find me somewhere that gives prices and power rating. I've only a few at amazon

er £450

£1,400 one review A complete waste of money, I bitterly regret buying one of these. It's extr emely fragile, I've never managed to break a vacuum cleaner before in my li fe, but I've had to scrap 2 brand new Kirbys in the space of 4 years after light use in a small two bedroom house! Things are always going wrong with them, costing hundreds to repair.
Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave wrote

Take your pick.

Jabba

A charity I was once involved with got given one as it's owner found it too heavy . It worked but didn't seem vastly better than anything else to justify the costly price tag that they are sold for. The official line is that all sales are through self employed distributors who are supposed to trained. But a search of the web will reveal that there are many reported instances of these distributors using the normal techniques often used by high pressure salesmen that verge on bullying and they often pick those least able to put up a resistance such as the elderly or infirm. The manufacturer is happy to continually state that this not their policy and it is down to individual sales agents but this method has been going on for decades so despite the criticism and occasional bad publicity they have seen no reason to change it. They are a US company where selling is a religion. Many people who have been pressured into buying one may not wish to advertise the fact so the Kirby name will not come up often in discussions about vacuum cleaners, those savvy enough not to be sold one will be savvy enough to know there is better value elsewhere.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Pop in and ask for a dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro ;)

Reply to
Ian

Presumably they're still all out knocking doors, press-ganging people into buying them, they soon realised a house full of students weren't their target market.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah very good. The other reason is to make it so there is one more job for the eu to look at. Must be very exciting, like watching paint dry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I still don't know anyone that has one. In fact I can name more people that own learjets.

But still couldn;t find any info on their power ratings. Tried a few of the ebay links nothing. I'm assuming as these cleaners arent;l for genral public they won't come un der this power 'law' .

leaner

extremely fragile, I've never managed to break a vacuum cleaner before in m y life, but I've had to scrap 2 brand new Kirbys in the space of 4 years af ter light use in a small two bedroom house! Things are always going wrong w ith them, costing hundreds to repair.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And should apply to all electrical goods.

Reply to
Mark

That's stupid. It would burn the carpet for one thing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright