Loose screws

No, I'm not referring to you lot ;-)

A friend has metal-framed windows, aluminium I think, the screws for one window handle are loose because the thread on the window is worn. Even though there is some 'bite', the screws don't tighten properly, they carry on going round and round IYSWIM.

What's the best way of dealing with this - using the same screws and some sort of compound to hold them in place, or using larger screws and enlarging the holes? Or something else? The solution must be quite robust as the window is opened and closed quite a lot, and there are children involved!

If it makes a difference, the screws are very short, fat self-tappers.

Reply to
Scion

I'd try threadlocking compound first.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

For PVCu frames, you can get "repair screws" for that situation, a bit of a thicker shank and different pitch. No idea if those would suit aluminium, or if not, whether specific repair screws for aluminium frames are available ...

Andy Burns

JimK put finger to keyboard:

I don't think thread locking compound will work - it's more for stopping screws rotating loose. It would probably be fine, except for the fact it's a window handle that is used daily, so the screws have to be able to withstand the forces applied when the window is opened and shut. I think thread lock compound would soon fail under these conditions.

Reply to
Scion

have you ever used any?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

If a self tapping thread has failed, the only real option is larger screws. Perhaps with some thread locker to help prevent it happening again.

If it's not possible to fit larger screws and there's room for them, you could try U nuts - they fit over the ally sheet, and have a thread on one side for a self tapper. Come in various sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would look to see whether it is possible to tap the holes for a machine thread screw. They are often a finer thread than self-tappers, which may give better holding power in a relatively thin material.

Reply to
Nightjar

Next size self tappers and don't enlarge the hole - it's probably already "right".

You might google for Window Repair Screw

It's a common problem and a number of screws are available with an oversized thread but otherwise same head size and length.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not clear from description whether frames are solid (more likely to be Critall galvanized steel) or box section (extruded Al). For box section one option might be rivnuts. My usual "fix" for oversized holes if tapping out is not an option is to glue in a length of studding with JB Weld or Araldite, and use a nyloc nut. Needs sufficient depth so may not be an option here.

Reply to
newshound

+1

Also make sure that the handle and mechanism is lubricated and operating as easily as possible to minimise the amount of yanking that has to be done.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The frames are probably box section, with a fit of space behind the part to which the handle attaches. [You can test this by removing the screw and poking a thin rod (e.g. shank of 2mm drill) into the hole.] If there

*is* space, it would be worth considering replacing the screws with suitably sized pop rivets. Many of the handles on my aluminium windows were factory fitted using pop rivets.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Erm, can i ask why that last bit is relevant? if the screws fail then the kids can't open the window to fall out of, or is it more along the lines of a daily wail thing.... the window won't open, oh my god, you can't have that, think of the chiiiiildren :)

Reply to
Gazz

JimK put finger to keyboard:

I've used the Loctite blue threadlock some time in the past, but for stopping a screw shaking loose (car engine), not for anything where force was going to be applied.

Reply to
Scion

I assumed it was because you can't rely upon children to follow instructions on how to open the window carefully.

Reply to
Nightjar

Gazz put finger to keyboard:

Heh, nothing like that! Just saying that advice to open and close the window gently (when repaired) would be somewhat optimistic.

Reply to
Scion

Scion put finger to keyboard:

Oh BTW Jim I appreciate your suggestion...just not sure it's the best solution, in these particular circumstances.

Reply to
Scion

I assumed the children were likely to fall out because it wouldn't stay closed.

Reply to
Capitol

That is called learning by experience :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

That's what a thread locker is for. Not to repair stripped threads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bookmarked!

Reply to