Choice of decking screws

I notice Screwfix are discounting some of their decking screws. I go through quite a lot of decking screws but normally use 4.5 thick. The discounted screws

are only 4 thick and I just wonder if they are up to the job or not. I normally use 32mm thick deck boards, and even with the 4.5 thick ones I've seen them snap on the odd occasion usually if you need to take them out. Anybody using the 4 thick versions care to comment.

Cheers, Neil

Reply to
Ex-tiscali

Lidl were doing the same screws at £1.49 for 300,on thursday 16th.

Reply to
George

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:10:18 +0100, "Ex-tiscali" mused:

lol at the '4 thick'.

I wouldn't use anythig less than a 5mm for decking, maybe that's just me.

Reply to
Lurch

Hi,

If 4 refers to the overall thread diameter and not the shank, then it's about the same as a #8 thread which is seems a bit spindly for a

4" screw.

Wonder what Medway Handyman uses?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I've always used the Wickes No 8 x 3"

which I guess are 4mm? And look exactly like the Screwfix ones!

I use 28mm boards.

Never had a problem. Impact driver, no pilot hole. As you say, the odd one snaps when you remove it, but I find that rare.

I guess the Screwfix ones are marginally cheaper than Wickes, but its not a lot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman