Taxing

Do the inland revenue ever answer the phone? 39 minutes listening to crap music, read all uk.d-i-y post from past 3 days, fed up now!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It took 3 hours the last time I called. The guy was helpful, spoke English, had my records in front of him, agreed my tax code was wrong and my estimate of what it should be was right, changed it there and then and a revised Notice of Coding arrived a few days later.

Then another one changing it back to the previous incorrect value arrived a few days after that.

Sigh.

ICBA to sort it at the moment.

Reply to
Huge

Normally, but only if they want your money. Again.

Reply to
Nick

I only called them about once in last 5 years, around middle of last year. Call answered immediately AFAICR. Also fixed my tax code on the spot, which had gone wrong when my company changed payroll subcontractors who screwed up, and it looked to the IR like I just started a second job on the same salary as the first one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There was a report some time ago (under F.O.I.A?) that an analysis of HMRC's phone bill showed a lot of connections to the speaking clock between 4.30 and 5 pm. It was thought staff were dialling it in order to avoid taking calls that might make them work late.

Reply to
The Other John

In message , Muddymike writes

I think you've answered your own question.

Reply to
bert

Calls "around the middle of (a) year" may be handled a little better than calls a few days before the end of the tax year.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Ha! I expect the voice messages and selections have bust and nobody realises it yet..

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Similar to what happened to me when I semi-retired & went part-time. The Revenue assumed that I was receiving my pension AND my full-time salary.

Reply to
Huge

Having got to agreement on my tax, the company that pays my pension changed its payments arm. HMRC (now what could that stand for?) decided that I was getting 2 pensions. Fortunately I sorted it out within an hour.

HMRC does have an uncanny ability to get it right then make it wrong in the space of a day.

Reply to
PeterC