Swallow's nest

I have a wooden holiday home. The cladding is made of overlapping vertical planks in two layers giving a castellated surface, and this is stained 'Oregon Pine'.

Unfortunately, a pair of swallows have built their nest high up under the overhanging roof. Their droppings land just outside the door - just where we wish to step. So when their chicks have flown, I want to remove the nest and try to deter them from returning. I have no wish to harm them. I want to ask what I can do to stop them this and every year.

One thought I have is if it might be possible to put some surface finish which their mud and spit won't stick to. The problem is - what can be used without being unsightly. May I ask for suggestions for this and maybe any other solutions?

Reply to
Marcus Foreman

Swallows used to occupy the same nest every year in our stables, until this year. This year, before the swallows arrived, some other bird (a wren, I suspect) kitted the swallows' nest with a nice mossy lining, then decided to go and nest somewhere else. When the swallows arrived they (presumably seeing the moss and Not Liking It) quickly built a new nest about 10 feet away.

So, why not fill the nest with something that stops them using it? My guess is they'd choose a new site nearby but not immediately adjacent.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If nothing else swallows are persistent. a pair had my garage (inside) surveyed for housing, and found it satisfactory. working in the garage with the door open became impossible. I was told just keep the garage door closed and they will go away. Well they may eventually, here I am three weeks later and still they come in whenever I open the garage door. The only way to stop them building is next year keep removing the beginnings of their nest, this is allowable, eventually they will give up and go elsewhere.

Reply to
Broadback

Or hang up strips (couple of inches wide and something over 12" long attached at one narrow end space about 18" or so) of white/coloured plastic supermarket bag (cheap) along where they are trying to build.

The movement puts 'em off, might not be so effective in a garage but works on exterior eves. Fix the strips to a bit of string and sling that between upper floor windows if access is a problem. Only needs to be up while they swallows/swifts/martins are house hunting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I want to remove the nest and try to deter them from returning. I have no wish to harm them.

Habitat destruction is the most effective way destroying wildlife. And just because you worried you might step in some droppings. That is so sad. What would an English summer be without swallows? I leave the garage door open and place a sheet of cardboard under where the dropping fall.

Reply to
biff

I would have gladly done that if it was simply a case of leaving the car out. However I have a lot of expensive equipment in the garage, and when they went walk about one night I don't think the insurance company would pay up, do you? Anyway I destroyed nothing I simply persuaded them to go elsewhere BEFORE they had completed their survey. The only way to "green" this planet is severely reduce the human population, any volunteers?

Reply to
Broadback

Well said.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The technique used round here is to put a horizontal board some way below the nest and above your head which catches most of the droppings

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|
01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

That's interesting. Round here I notice that it's the house martins that nest under the eaves and would make use of those boards running half way up the gables, while the swallows seem to prefer to nest inside buildings the better to crap on ones lawnmower.

Reply to
biff

That's a bit too complicated though, innit!

Much easier to destroy habitats ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I see your point but don't you think you're coming on a bit strong? It's clear from the OP's message that he means no harm and he is prepared to wait until the coast is clear and then go to some trouble to solve the problem. Yes that will destroy one site but you have no way of knowing whether sites are in short supply in his area. In fact from his description it seems quite likely that there are other suitable sites available elsewhere on his house, and all he wants to do is to dissuade the swallows from nesting right above the front door.

I don't condone wholesale destruction of habitats but that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Swallows traditionally go back to the same sites, once found. Using a board wouldn't be a problem and everyone would be happy.

It's what many people advocate, I have as much right to oppose that view as they have to make it. Not only the OP reads the thread.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We simply removed a small top plank from a gable end of a garage at one house a few years ago and the swallows quite happily used that for access. In our present abode we have two swallows nests in a large barn style stable block and they access via a small high window without any glass in it. Doors are secured in the normal way. Mind you when a door is opened the swallows use that for preference. Country lore always says it is lucky to have swallows nesting round your dwelling and they do consume tremendous numbers of small insects such as midges.

Reply to
John