suitable method of creating clothes rail on wall

Hello

Im in the process of getting ideas together on how best to complete a wall mounted clothes rail of approx 6ft. I am going to use a wooden or metal pole. Now the problem I have is finding a suitable bracket that will come far enough away from the wall (half a shirts width approx) so as not to impede the hanging of the clothes.

In my minds eye I've got something like this below

Of Half Shirt ]---------------O

Can anyone suggest where i could get one or a similar thing to achive a pole of 5ft to 6ft#

Please help I'm totally stuck!

Specific suggestions on fixing into brick wall would be great as well.

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Could you hang it from ceiling? Baz

Reply to
Baz

Two of these and a bit of ingenuity. ;-)

even fold down to lie flush with the wall so a hook on pole can be made and put away when not in use.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I am hanging from the ceiling aswell, this one needs to be fixed the next level down halfway down the wall

Reply to
Neil

Don't think in terms of how you'd erect a hanging rail; just put up an ordinary shelf instead (or maybe that's equally difficult?). Put up the shelf, then simply attach a hanging rail to it's underside, as in a wardrobe.

This also gets you a Useful Shelf to put Stuff on, and it will also dissuade dust and muck from settling on your shirts.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Apart from other suggestions, why not buy a ready-made wall mounted retractable clothes airer/dryer? Leifheit used to do good ones.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

================ Make two wooden gallows brackets of suitable size. Drill a hole (18mm for standard wardrobe rail or 22mm for copper plumbing pipe) in the end of each horizontal arm. Fix the two brackets to the wall and slide the rail into the holes.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from "Neil" contains these words:

What you need's a mate with a welder and some angleiron.

Reply to
Guy King

You can use regular shelf brackets with a piece of 2x2 timber attached, and attach rail sockets to the timber. Or fit shelves to the wall brackets and screw rail hangers to the bottom of the shelves.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Can you not hang from the one hanging from the ceiling?

Reply to
Mike Dodd