Rail for hanging wall cupboards

Today I needed to urgently fix a kitchen wall unit that had come loose. Not being too sure of the state of the wall I thought I would buy a 1metre length of the rail section to give me the opportunity to make some new holes. In the big orange shed I was surprised that they didn't have such a thing. A mature assistant proposed a fix by using two strips overlapped to give the same effect ~(good idea). However, I opted for some Fischer expansing bolts and these worked well.
Does such a steel strip exist - as if I was to mount a run of cupboards I would find it more convenient to use a single mounting rail than lots of bits.
John wrote:

When mounting wall cupbaord I mount a length of (gets tape measure) 18x40mm timber in a complete length just under the cupboards and lengths of 18x40mm just under the top of the cupboards. Then, the bottom of the cupbaords rests on the continuous bottom strip and the top edge of the cupboards rests on the top strip - noncontininous to allow for the sides of the units. The cupboards' top fixing screws then scre directly into the timber battens instead of trying to aim at wall-fixed wallplugs, and some of the weight is supported by the bottom rail instead of all of it held by the wall screws.
In one kitchen I used a 18x100mm bottom rail and made it a feature with cuphangers on it.
JGH
On 20/03/2011 00:58, jgharston wrote:

That's what I do also, it's very handy having a ready levelled batten to rest the base of the wall cupboard on it before top fixing into the wall, I also use the same technique with large wall mirrors for making a small bathroom look bigger.

I use the bottom batten technique too (also with cup-hooks), but hadn't thought of doing it at the top too. Nice idea.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "newshound"

Simplest method I've seen is to rip a 45deg cut along the length of a piece of 19mm ply or plank, then fasten one piece to the wall, one piece to the back top of the cupboard, then hook the cupboard onto the wall. Dead simple, quite secure and it's easy to put a few fasteners in afterward.

No, as you'd need to cut out a slot in the two uprights of each wall unit, it would take longer.