dado rail on stairs

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing) run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

TIA

Reply to
Peter

That's basically it. Just make sure you measure the angle for the sawcut in the correct direction, depending which way you are holding the workpiece. If in doubt, try it with scrap pieces first.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Another way of looking at it is that halving the angle is the only way the 2 cuts will be the same length.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Peter" wrote

Mark the rail location on the wall. Stick two bits of card of rail-width on the wall so they cross at the appropriate point. Measure the angle between the card templates and bisect it. Draw a line across the overlapped cards at this bisection angle. Cut through both pieces of card with a sharp knife. These ends will match the required angle of the dado rail.

Probably take less time to do than it did to write this

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Especially as you don't need to mesasure or bisect anything.

Just draw the line across the overlapped cards between the two points where the edges of the cards intersect.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Got it! Thanks very muich guys...

Reply to
Peter

In article , Peter writes

You do realise that dado rails were originally intended to protect the wall form chair backs . . . . , on stairs :-?

Reply to
fred

Peter expressed precisely :

Do it the way I did it....

Hold the horizontal section in place on the wall and mark pencil lines either side of it. Do the same with the bit which runs down the stair. Where the lines intersect for each of the upper and lower pencil lines, draw a line through them with a straight edge. Lay each piece back on the wall in turn and transfer the line onto each piece and cut.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or, if using a mitre saw, work out the angle between the two sections and halve it. For example, if the stair angle is 40 degrees, the included angle will be (180 - 40) = 140, and you will need to set the saw at 70 degrees.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I can't quite see how this will join up. The piece running parallel with the stairs will be cut diagonally and the landing piece will be cut square. ie, the first will have a compound mitre and the second a simple mitre.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Cut at an angle which bisects the angle at which the two pieces join.

Reply to
Skipweasel