hanging a clothes rail

we have in our bedroom a little room off the side that acts as a walk in wardrobe. the previous owner had metal brackets which petrude about

12 inches from the wall and on the end have an eyelet for the pole to go through (they are attached to the wall and as such the length they petrude allow garments to be hund without touching the wall. As my girlfriends collection of clothes has grown the whole damn bracket has ripped off the wall and taking big chunks of what I believe is lime and horsehair plaster (its pale and has hairs in it!). I am basically having a nightmare re attaching these things , I.ve drilled new holes but the plaster cust ripped apart leaving a massive hole (any tips for drilling successfully into lime and horsehair plaster). i then filled these hole let the filler dry, re-drilled quite successfully used those uno wall plugs (grey ones) and size 8 screws about 2 inches long (much shorter than what previous owner had in by the way but he seems to have used blue wall plugs which i would assume are a size up from the brown however I cant find those anywhere). i rehung it successfully however it just ripped a couple of massive new holes on the wall. I've sort of figured out im gonna have to go deeper into the brick and therefore need some advice should i use a standard bit in the drill for drilling through the filler then change to a masonary bit with hammer action on contact with the masonary. then how deep can i go as this wall is solid and adjoins to next doors property. my idea is to bury decent size wall plug (or those metal anchor) deep into the brick and then use a long screw. any advice or recommendations on type of plug length of screw to hold a about a 5ft pole full of clothes.

Sorry this is so long but I need some help!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Neil

I suspect it may be simpler to start from scratch with a replacement home and a replacement girlfriend.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Go and buy two pieces of suitable planed timber from your local supplier. Attach these to the wall, from floor to ceiling. Screw your brackets onto the timber.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is there a wall at each end of the rail? If so, why not support the rail off those rather than by cantilever brackets attached to the back wall?

Reply to
Set Square

one wall is straight and could accomadate this however another is slopping with a velux type window in it.

Reply to
Neil

what would you suggest is suitable timber?

Reply to
Neil

To a degree that depends on the size of your brackets! I should think that the width of the base of the bracket + 1" (25mm) would be a good starting point, by oh, erm, ah, wild guess say 1" (25mm). You might not *need* them full height of the room! Softwood.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Agreed, but instead of / as well as timber, use Spur shelving uprights (the heavyweight stuff from big B&Q or shopfitters). Then it's easy to attach rails, shelves, etc as desired.

Rails can be hung off cantilever brackets and are available ready made up in standard 'module' widths.

Owain

Reply to
Owain