Grand Designs: 30 Nov 05

Didn't care much for the interior decor in this "white box" at Bexhill-on-Sea. And from outside it looked like an office block.

But it was heartening to see a project that finished on time and on budget, where the architect specified durable materials for such a location. Not sure about the flat roof, though...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

On a similar note, did anyone see property ladder this week with the two girls totally missing the point of art deco ?

Reply to
Séan Connolly

1930's sewage pumping station painted white.

But Kevin was wrong about those plastic windows - they did interrupt the view.

Not sure how 6 kW of halogen lights got past Part L ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yeah it was a repeat from quite a while back.

I no longer find shows where they have gone that extreme interesting. You can tell in 10 minutes they will have a really taste specific house and go way over budget. Much more interested in seeing people who make slight changes here and there, take some but ignore other advice and then see how it affects the price.

Reply to
Rob Convery

Yes. That was a repeat from a while back, I think.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

And holding the record for 'going most over budget'. I wonder if they ever sold it and how big a loss they made?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Huge loss at a guess. That toilet was horrific, and how much were the tiles ?

Stunning house mind, although the decor reminded of our place when we bought it, which isn't a good thing at all!

Reply to
Séan Connolly

It wasn't that bad, but could have looked 100% better with some thought. If the front had some contrasting colours then it would have been OK. Many of these art deco, or semi art deco, houses were influenced by the 1930s ocean liners designs (the brilliant French art deco SS Normandie) and would have liner style of rails in contrasting colours. Theirs was crap, and to make it far more appealing it wouldn't have taken much at all. An opportunity lost, but easy to put right.

What was that 15 year render they were using?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The place was so big, and they were dimmed. Very rarely would be drawning

6kW, if at all.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yeah, those two bints were worth a punt, but the house decor was alo to be desired!

Talk about have your head in the clouds! Valuations average at £600k 'I know, lets put it on at £750k so we can try and recoup our £100k' in losses!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I turned it off after seeing the presenter and team working hard to add to their budget and cause an argument for the sake of 'good tv'. How did it go in the end ?

Reply to
John Cartmell

From the web site;

"If she sells the property for her original target price of £600,000 Natalie will actually lose £34,000. However she and Tanja are convinced that the property is so spectacular and unique that they can sell it for closer to £750,000".

Doesn't say if they sold it or what for though.

ave

Reply to
david lang

The "arty" sister was incomprehensibly stupid, and here sister realised. "You spend 2000 pounds on tiles for an understairs loo ?!!", etc. Also, didn't see any insulation going into the timber roof room. The walls looked strangely thin. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

the house is actually on the beach at Pett

old black timber house was on the market for £1.5m after the new box was completed.

-
Reply to
Mark

By having the downstairs bog stuffed with lots of "low energy light fittings" to even out the ratios, no doubt! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

As far as people have said on other forums they haven't... It was an inherited house so rumours go so they didn't really "buy" it to start with.

Reply to
mogga