Where can I cut down a fresh xmas tree?

And no, I don't mean 'walk out to the nearest forest and cut one down'

Does anyone know a place in the south east (preferably closer to th M25) where the public can go, choose their own xmas tree and either di it up or cut it down? (Directions if possible!)

I have spoken to people who say this is a great way of getting a fresh great-looking tree at a cost cheaper than most DIY stores or garde centres, but for love nor money have no idea how to go about findin one (apart from spending days driving around in the car hoping t stumble across one!)

Being an avid DIYer this is a great idea

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Not in the SE. My neighbour sells such trees in this way but we are in West Wales. The fuel costs may not be economic for you. :-(

Reply to
Howard Neil

A quick Google brought up the British Christmas Tree Growers Association at

not try contacting them? [And, while you're at it, extend your DIY skills to using Google! ]

Reply to
Set Square

Latton Bush farm near Harlow, close to junction 7 of the M11 - that's one up from the M25. Take the Epping turn off from the roundabout at the top of the slip road and it's about half a mile on the right. The staff generally cut them down for you, but you do get to wander among the trees in the earth and select one which they will cut for you, or dig up for a slight premium. The trees cost =A315. I've not actually had one from there myself but I work in Harlow and more than one person has recommended them.

Reply to
mattkelly

And not directions on how to cut it down or dig it up! Directions o how to get there

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I would have thought 'being an avid diy'er you would leave the nice trees where they were and make something Blue Peter stylee? ;-)

Not being a 'devout christian' (was brought up CofE whatever that means) I don't get the point of some of these old 'traditions' (habits) ?

*Personally* I really can't see the point to killing a tree, bringing it indoors and generally degrading it by hanging lights / junk on it ...? *I* really don't think they look good indoors? Put lights on a living one in the garden if you want but 'the kids' won't care if the one indoors is artificial (and some are pretty 'life like' these days) as long as they get their Robosapian / XBox 360 / iPod or whatever?

That and not having to take other peoples dead trees down the dump when they clear out the garden in the spring and leave them on the pavement for the dustman (who won't take them) oh, that and not being able to park anywhere for a month for people buying rubbish for people they never see .. .. ;-(

Have a happy commercial Xmyth though ;-)

All the best ..

H. Bug ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Dig it up rather than cut it down.

Firstly, if you stick it in a pot full of earth it won't drop nearly as many needles.

Secondly, once Xmas is over you can plant it somewhere. It seems a real shame to kill a living tree for the sake of a few days of enjoyment.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Good link cheers.

Must admit my Google skills need brushing up

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I know what you mean but it keeps the kids happy!

Am hoping to dig the bugger up, but should it put up too much of fight.... out comes the axe!!

Once dead... chopped up in to little piece and in to the shredder.

NICE

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

If you're a member of the Friends of Kew Gardens, they do just this at their Sussex outpost, Wakehurst Place. Bit of a high overhead for one tree, though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you're north or west of London this is the place:

Peter Taylor

Christmas traditions are mostly pre-Christian anyway, likewise Easter, and are based on pagan fertility/sun worship customs. Until the fourth century Easter was the main Christian celebration. When the church decided to celebrate the birth of Christ, and without there being any precise record of when it was, Pope Julius I chose December 25 - this just happened to be the same as the Roman festival of Saturnalia. Of course the winter solstice is a major festival for many other religions, so it was convenient for the Christians to tell prospective converts that they wouldn't have to give up their favourite party if they chose to switch gods.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I reckon Christmas is a bit too early for our climate. If it was at the end of January it would give a month extra for Christmas shopping and one less month of winter after Christmas/NY until spring/summer. Plus the chance of a white Christmas would be higher.

The 3 days most people take before New Year could be split between a winter Bank Holiday, Christmas and extra holiday for summer.

So it would go December Bank Holiday, then New Years Eve, New Years Day, 3/4 weeks then Christmas, Boxing Day, extra holiday day, then 2 months til spring and an extra day off in summer.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The tree you mean? Ok, experiment, erase the kids minds of 'Xmyth trees' and see if they ask for one? Like tobacco .. "what, you roll it up in some paper, set fire to the end and suck the smoke / fumes into your lungs! .. Yeah right, nice one!" ;-)

Ah, now that's a *different* story .. toys ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Nice (interesting) summary .. thanks Rob ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

So would that set the relentless Holiday ads back a month? Mind you if the weather was worse as you suggest maybe people would want *more* holiday ads? ;-)

Most folk 'like' the time period *because* of the holidays so the more the merrier I suppose?

Result! (lol)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wouldn't getting the plastic one you re-cycle out of the loft be easier than any digging / transporting / disposing (if you have to do any of it that is)?

Plasic ones don't frop needles? ;-)

My very young sister (talking 6 here) once 'borrowed' a fir tree from a plantation and managed to get it into the back of the family car and home without us seeing. Once home it went into a pot and was our Xmas tree for a few years (before I had the choice). Then it got too big and was transplanted to the front garden and only a few years ago was cut down because it was taller than the house!

It still lived a happy and fairly long life though ... ;-)

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Checkout Westwood Farm, Chelsfield, Nr Orpington, Kent. They will sor you out with what you want. And is near junction 4 of the M25

-- Part P Avoider

Reply to
Part P Avoider