Fixing flagpole to a wall

Hi

Need a temporary solution as I hope to be moving house in the next few months and taking it with me. I recently had a new patio laid which displaced the pole (and the last bit of lawn/earth), and there's only one place left to put it.

20-foot aluminum flagpole with ground sleeve, but the area where I want to put it is concreted so I need to mount the sleeve (or the bottom of flagpole) above ground, next to a wall approx 5ft tall. I am picturing using a kind of bracket system attached to the wall, maybe one at the top and one bottom, to hold the pole in place, similar to a guttering downpipe idea. The sleeve is approx 2 1/4" across (5.5cm) with approx 7" (17 3/4cm) diameter. Anyone know of any decent brackets that would do the job? I don't need something that'll last for 25 years, but want something slightly better than a bodge. I've also toyed with the idea of using a normal gutter downpipe (bigger than the sleeve), attaching it to the wall with heavy-duty brackets and setting the sleeve inside it with concrete/cement but I'll need to re-use the sleeve in the next house. Is this possible, and can I put something on the sleeve so it can be removed when the concrete is set? I'll probably bin the fixings when I move but take the pole and sleeve with me.

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

How about getting two or three aeriel mast brackets (e.g. screwfix part

90874) and replacing the smaller U bolts with something like car exhaust U bolts of a large enough diameter to go around the mast?

suggests you can get them in various sizes and large enough.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Excellent idea, will larger U-bolts fit the bracket(s)?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You'll have to drill extra holes for sure - and maybe open up existing ones. The only issue to consider is larger U bolts will typically be made from larger diameter rod - so you need to make sure the larger holes don't weaken the brackets.

You may find the supplied U bolts are maybe M5 or M6, and you might be up to M10 for the size you need. Assume the pole itself is maybe just under 2 inch diameter judging by sleeve size?

An alternative to the aeriel brackets if they are a bit too weedy for M10 holes, may be to find some very strong/hefty shelf or other angle brackets and mount them sideways.

Reply to
Midge

I wouldn't have thought it should be very expensive to get the local blacksmith or engineering firm to bend four bits of 1/4" x 1" flat steel bar into a pair of clamping brackets with mounting lugs on, if you end up with a problem with Midge's excellent idea.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

You could always buy an aerial bracket suitable for a 2 inch mast, such as

Chewbacca

Reply to
Midge