stud head screws for skirting

Hi all. I want to screw some skirting boards into place and I'd prefer not to have sscrew heads visible. Are there any screws that accommodate a door stud cap?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Are you going to paint the skirting? If so, countersink the screws and apply a bit of filler before painting. Makes removal a bit more difficult though!

Reply to
Set Square

I'd go along with Mr Square on this. However, if you must there's plenty of bits like this available:

(is that what you mean?) although I think they'd look pretty naff on skirtings... Point is you buy them separately and use them with ordinary screws though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I was thinking about those rustic looking iron studs that are fixed to front doors to recreate a ..I dunno..tudor look..search me. They would need to be like a mirror screw where the cap screws on to the concealed countersink screw.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Well, they're your skirtings! ;-)

Never heard of any like that but you Screwfix do studs which screw directly into wood; I think they're quite broad so if you screwed one in to your skirtings immediately adjacent to a countersunk small-headed screw I would think it would cover it up. But I'd still prefer simply to bury the screwheads under filler!

David

Reply to
Lobster

certainly unusual, but should work ok. Medieval I think.

The usual methods are:

  1. nail it, nails with small/lost heads
  2. glue it instead, no more nails etc
  3. put the screws in predrilled holes and fit round bits of wood into the holes, nearly invisible.
  4. screw and fill the head, its easy to then unscrew, just stick a pin in the head to clear it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I would only use the studs if I was using screws...I want to avoid nails. Looks like I may have to use regular screws and scrape a bit of filler over them.

thanks to all.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur