OT? - Keeping shoe laces done up

When shoe laces are new, they stay done up - probably because they are slightly rough.
After a while, they start coming undone at inconvenient times - maybe because they have become smoother.
Does anyone have a magic solution (other than buying new laces!) for restoring them to 'as new' condition?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I bought a new pair recently and have constant trouble keeping them tied unless I double knot them and then have the problem of undoing them...They are the flat ,sort of woven, kind...I had round ones before and never had this problem so you might like to try them ... Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

Well, the ones I'm currently having trouble with are round! They came with a pair of stout walking shoes which I bought earlier this year - and were fine for a time but have now started undoing themselves!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Try lightly rubbing them with sand paper

Coat them in PVA before you do them up. I'm sure you'll never have a problem with them coming undone again.

You're probably right - but I don't want to wear the shoes in bed!<g>
I was rather hoping the someone may have found a proven solution - rather than simply speculating!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:12:43 +0100, Set Square wrote:

Just been watching ' Trade Secrets ' on BBC2. Todays was cobblers secrets and they said if your shoe laces keep comming undone, take some black shoe polish on a cloth and rub the laces with it. I assume brown shoe polish for brown laces.
Dave

It does work, been doing mine for years. A smear of polish on a cloth rubbed into the laces every 6-8 weeks keeps them tied. If you are concerned about getting black polish on your hands use clear/natural polish.
--
Robert

It's strange, I don't have this prob because my laces, like my shoes, are reely reely old.
All frayed, not much actual lace left, etc, but they stay tied up.
They even stay tied up "loosely"; the knot is tied pretty tight, but there's alot of slack, so the shoe is more of a slip-on.
And the laces are very polished on the surface - it may be a bit like putting polish on them.
I hate to buy new shoes as the laces won't stay tied up (and I'm a skinflint)
mike

You should have watched trade secrets on Sat BBC2, lots of tips on renovating shoes. Keep an eye open for it coming around again.
Dave

Synthetic shoe laces untie because the fibres are smooth-surfaced. Old shoe laces were a mix of linen (for strength), cotton (for bulk) and a little of wool fibres. As wool is an animal product, there are small scales on the surface of each fibre that make them rough and stop sliding.

So where can I get *old* laces?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Make your own.
Mary

Do you have a recipe?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Yes. We make several cords and the instructions for them, they can be used for all sorts of applications. Mail me.
Mary

Tell us here Mary - then I'll tell you how to make lovely decorative laces.
Regards, NT

used
laces.
Eh?
Our laces and cords are beautiful and decorative already.
We sell the instructions.
Mary

LOL!
What you want is waxed laces:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22waxed+laces%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&lr=&start &sa=N
cheers, Pete.

Oh, I can do those!
Mary

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22waxed+laces%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&lr=&start &sa=N
| When shoe laces are new, they stay done up - probably because they are | slightly rough. | | After a while, they start coming undone at inconvenient times - maybe | because they have become smoother. | | Does anyone have a magic solution (other than buying new laces!) for | restoring them to 'as new' condition? | -- | Cheers, | Set Square
I had this trouble for years, I have cured it permanently, I now wear slip on shoes.
Bryan