Gas cooker cut-off ?

An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it is and the likely cost.

TIA

Reply to
Ziggy

Surely what's being suggested is nothing more complex than a gas tap fitted to the pipe somewhere just upstream of the cooker, like this:

Very straightforward job. Costs £3 plus a plumber's minimum call-out charge I would think

David

Reply to
Lobster

But 90%+ of cookers are supplied with pipes that are not easily accesible. So the pipe would have to be routed to a convenient place for the pvalve to be fitted.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most modern types won't allow this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You would need to be able to let gas by via the unlit burners in order to purge air from the gas supply pipe.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Thats true for ovens and more recently grills. You have to have an ancient appliance before there is no flame failure device on the oven.

The latest up-market hobs also have some sort of flame sensing.

Otherwise there is nothing that can be done to protect someone from turning on a ring and not lighting it. However the rate of gas and the likely air changes in the room (which has a minimum size if a cooker is fitted) _should_ mean that such a situation won't build to a dangerous concentration of gas, not a good idea to try it out evenso.

The only reasons I can think of to add a convenient cut off for a cooker would be : a) To allow the gas to be cut when there is a minor fire/boiling over etc. where the normal control knob would be hazardous to use. This would exceed the requirements for complying with gas regs although it is conceivably a good thing by analogy with the electric regs.

b) To ensure the gas was cut off as opposed to turning off all the knobs. I'm not up on what's needed for older people, the Alms houses I look after all have electric cookers (by choice of the residents). However I think if the user is at this level perhaps they ought not to be (gas) cooking?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In the old peoples' flats I got familar with, gas cookers were not allowed by the lease conditions. All the flats had gas central heating with sealed unit boilers, but not anything which would have allowed gas into the rooms. Let me assure you it's possible to do all sorts of really nasty things with an electric cooker, without adding gas into the equation;-) Come to that, we even had problems with the toaster...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wish "most" was an accurate assessment Dave. "Some" is probably a more appropriate word.

Reply to
John

Yes - it just occurred that changing the cooker for a modern one which has might be the cheapest option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)