Stuck lock...

te:

You don't see out as well though.

-- =

The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted = sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. = Type in "Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire" and the = computer will say "Specify type of goat." -- Rich Jeni

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you have a proper access, i.e. a dropped kerb, then you can complain to the plod if you are blocked in, and they will threaten the culprit with obstruction.

However, if they block you from entering your property, then it's a civil matter, plod is not interested.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew, do you think it somehow makes you look "clever" to selectively quote from somebody else's post, totally ignore the context and thus deliberately misrepresent what they posted ?

I placed "drive" in inverted context on purpose, as I was responding to Swords proposal to create a "drive" in his front garden using gravel.

Had you bothered to read further you would have seen that my post covered all the points you raised, but in rather more detail and rather more accurately.

And in any case in many places driving across pavements isn't permitted

To prevent this you then need to fork out a few k, to the local council, assuming this is still permitted, for a dropped kerb. The council will then modify the pavement and paint a yellow line [or lines] in the road to prevent parking.

Whether they actually enforce it, or you still get blocked in or out, is another matter.

It might also help Andrew if you actually had a clue as to what you were talking about

Responsibility for policing yellow lines lies with the appropriate Local Authority and not the police. And in England at least is known as Civil Parking Enforcement. Basically if you have paid the Local Authority to have a dropped kerb installed and they have painted the requisite yellow lines then its their responsibility to enforce it. And any obstruction is an offence against Civil Parking Regulations as enforced by the Local Council. The only the police would want to get involved would be in the event of a possible breach of the peace.

michael adams

michael adams

So magically a drive with a lowered kerb has more access rights? Why can't people parking use their eyes and avoid parking in front of a driveway, dropped kerb or not? Works round here.....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

a yellow line does not "Prevent" parking. It "prohibits" it which is a quite different matter.

Reply to
charles

Anyway it's a white line.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Well yes.

That eventuality was covered in the final two lines of the passage of text I quoted from my original post, which for some unaccountable reason you've chosen to snip

" Whether they actually enforce it, or you still get blocked in or out, is another matter."

So that the initial assumption is that parking will be prevented as a result of the prohibition being enforced.

This is later qualified in my final sentence which you chose to snip which covers the possibility of the prohibition not being enforced in which case parking hasn't, as you say, been prevented.

It appears that this selective quotation business is catching.

michael adams

michael adams

Pretty obviously, it depends on how near or far away you are from railway stations used by commuters, high roads with shops, schools, or basically anything likely to attract people with cars who need somewhere to park.

But don't just take my word for it. With any luck, another expert may just happen along to show you where I've gone wrong. Although in this case I've stuck to the one single sentence; which may make things a bit more tricky for them.

michael adams

michael adams

The reason people park illegally is all the wankers who park their own cars on the street instead of having drives, so there's no room left. Streets with driveways have plenty room for others to park. Parking on a road should be temporary, to go into a shop, to deliver something, etc., not a permanent place for your car to live. Your car is your property, keep it on your own bloody land!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think you are mistaken. The rules about dropped kerbs are nothing to do with yellow lines. The much-modified common law of obstruction is involved. And best of luck getting a council official to force a driver to move his vehicle by waving tickets at him. I think this is more a job for the police.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

cars on the street instead of having drives, so there's no room left. Streets with driveways have plenty room for others to park. Parking on a road should be temporary, to go into a shop, to deliver something, etc., not a permanent place for your car to live. Your car is your property, keep it on your own bloody land!

I have to admit I agree with 100%. Probably means my opinion is rubbish, but still.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's not an opinion, it's basic common sense. Why should anyone be allowed to store their property on public land?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On my street of terraced houses, my heart sinks whenever another house has its kerb dropped. They go off to work all day, during which time nobody else can park across it. Not all streets with driveways "have plenty room for others to park".

Reply to
Dave W

Indeed not, I stand corrected.

I won't question your citing of common law all I know for a fact is that implementation and enforcement of dropped kerbs are the responsibility of the relevent Local Authority, who can in theory at least, issue PCN's and arrange for vehicles to be towed away.

A "council official" ? We should be so lucky ! Well not me, as it happens. On the street where I live close to a tube station there are a number of dropped kerbs. For years I parked my van in the street close to my house. Because I mainly use it at weekends commuter parking isn't a problem, the van stays where it is. However some of my fellow residents with dropped kerbs were forever bitching about having their drives blocked. However rather than enforce the dropped kerb regs whatever they are, the Council instead took the opportunity to introduce a CPZ or controlled parking zone. For which all of us without dk's are goingto have to pay around ?70 a year. Now there's a surpise !

Whereas all the poor dears with dropped kerbs - most of whom haven't paid a penny having bought their houses with the dropped kerb in place - and whose bitching was responsible for the CPZ don't have to pay a penny. The just have to register their dropped kerb with the council.

And all because the useless Council couldn't be bothered to enforce the dropped kerbs in the first place.

Unfortunately the police don't; except where there's a likelihood of a breach of the peace And having assumed responsibilty for this area it's very doubtful if Local Authorities would willingly cede responsibility back to the police. As it;s a very good revenue earner* for them for one, one despite claims to the contrary.

Otherwise this seems to be a chain yourself to the railings type of issue. So good luck with that one.

  • Across the bordr in a neighbouring Borough there's a road that acts as a feeder for the A40 M40 at some times of day. Houses one side, park the other although its always been fairly quiet on the few times I've used it out of commuting hours. Residents complained of speeding; so first they installed traffic islands. Still complaints. Speed bumps. Its now impossible to speed, with normal suspension at least.

In the morning the traffic flow is all southbound, in the evening all northbound. Unfortunately residents were parking their cars too close to the traffic islands on one side of the road and this wasn't being enforced with lines or anything. Making negotiating the traffic island on that side very difficult. However with nothing coming the other way, many drivers were taking the sensible course and going around the other side of the island.

What they hadn't noticed was that LB Hounslow had installed a traffic camera and a tiny yellow notice on a lampost adjacent to one of the traffic islands. Result ? 10,000 Moving Traffic enforcement PCNS in one year from by far the most prolific traffice camera in the Borough.

To achieve this figure I strongly suspect they held back in actually issuing the fines so as to allow drivers to rack up repeat offences. AlthoughI'm not sure whether this is covered by legislation.

And just so as to rub it in the Council issued a satement explaining that the measure was solely to promote road safety, and in that regard (with the ?60,000 now safely in their back pocket) they'd now be painting yellow lines adjacent to the traffic island.

Although another way of looking at it I suppose, for those of us fortunate enough not to have been trapped by such ruses, is that this is simply a good way of reducing our own Council Tax burden

michael adams

michael adams

(with the ?60,000 now safely in their back

Er, make that ?600,000

michael adams

michael adams

They would if everyone in your street got a drive. Stop being selfish and expecting to park in front of someone else's house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A driveway entrance, dear boy, takes up as much parking space as a small car. And some more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why don't you get a dropped kerb and a drive like them and stop parking = your van on a public highway? Of course you have to pay more, you're th= e wanker using up the road space.

-- =

Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Most councils in London no longer issue permits for dropped kerbs or arrange for the necessary work to be done, at any price.

I suggested it in your case, as I assumed you lived somewhere with less parking pressure. It might not even cost ?5k in your case. It can vary according to your location.

However if you did as you originally suggested and merely gravelled over you front garden then you would be committing an offence by driving over the pavement. Which in theory at least aren't intended to withstand the weight of cars. So if you cracked the pavement the council would charge you for the cost of replacing it. As it's a pound to a pinch of sh*t that one of your neighbours will have reported you.

What with the administration costs, three men working for five days going back and forth from the depot to get the correct slabs plus the cost of the barrier to stop pedestrians walking into the work site, you're probably talking of a round figure of about ?5.k min. in any case.

Of course you could always chain yourself to the railings outside the Town Hall, go on hunger strike, or set fire to yourself instead as a protest. It's entirely up to you.

michael adams

michael adams

ng your van on a

ing up the road

Another reason not to live in that overcrowded mess. Edinburgh has the = same sort of problem. Trams everywhere, 20mph limits everywhere, pedest= rian zones, no parking, fines everywhere to stop for 5 minutes to go to = a shop. According to some news articles they've shot themselves in the = foot by killing the tourist industry there.

I have a driveway with space for 5 cars, I don't have a problem at my ow= n property, it's the cheapskates without driveways that litter the roads= with their cars 24/7, so buses, ice cream vans, bin lorries, and presum= ably ambulances and fire engines, etc can't get through. And they park = on both sides of the road, using up double the space.

Yet lowering the kerb doesn't involve strengthening the pavement, so tha= t's clearly nonsense. For goodness sake my driveway can withstand cars = on it, and that was done cheaply with monoblock and a minimal amount of = hardcore.

Best way is to just put something (concrete, those rubber things you get= on Ebay, etc), against the kerb to stop it damaging your tyres and just= drive over it. Loads have done it round here and nobody ever gets repo= rted.

-- =

My younger sister was having one of her first gynecological appointments= and she had some questions for the doctor. "Doctor" she asked, "I can't ask my parents, They would kill me but my b= oyfriend wants to have anal sex. I don't know what to tell him, I mean = I don't know anything about it. Can I get pregnant?" The kindly old doctor smiled whimsically and replied "Of course, you can= my dear. Where do you think lawyers come from?"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword