Stuck lock...

What did the owners in France say when you phoned them ?

Didn't they say what they'd done with the key which they used to lock the door from inside, before closing it from the outside?

Or did they say they'd used one of the pair of keys on the keyring ?

Surely all these questions should have been settled as a result of that first phone call ?

michael adams

michael adams

While that requuirement may well apply to new houses, not that I know for sure, there are plenty of back-to-back houses still around, mainly up North which occasionally come onto the market.

michael adams

michael adams

What is a back to back house? I know chavvy council flats have only one door, but a house where you have nobody living under or over you, I expect to be able to go out the front or the back.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A true "back to back" only has a door (and windows) at the front: the back is the back of the house behind it. Most have been demolished, but a few converted to modern use, with appropriate lighting, ventilation and plumbing. There are also some modern builds in the same format - probably called split level maisonettes or some such estate agent bullshit.

Reply to
Max Demian

Bloody hell I though flats were bad enough. So there are actually house= s with only one outside wall? This is the UK not India. Wouldn't it be= better to get arrested and live in a prison cell? Or just buy a tent f= or =A320 and go live in the mountains?

-- =

Aisle oven ice bitters are chasm!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm guessing the husband locked it with his key, as the wife's keyring was the one the sister had. The kids both had keys too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only spoke to the wife on a poor line and didn't ask the whys and wherefores. Only wanted their permission to remove the lock - or not.

Well, her keys were still here, so presumably his?

I'll try and find out when they get back. As I'm intrigued too. My guess is most of the keys are copies which work OK in the more worn main barrel.

The front door and presumably the lock were fitted by the previous owners perhaps 3 years ago. It's a wood door made to roughly the original style.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The format is perfectly all right with modern lighting, forced ventilation and plumbing, provided they are not overcrowded.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's almost the case with the house in our garden (on the site of the infamous brothel).

The front is onto the side street (we are one away from a corner), with full windows. The rear overlooks our garden, so is only allowed one small high-up obscured pane for its kitchen (sole natural light in there). One side overlooks a neighbour in the side street, and is blank. The fourth overlooks us and is allowed one small, barely opening obscured pane.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are loads in places like Leeds. They appear on "Homes under the hammer" from time to time.

Reply to
Andrew

Lack of real daylight screws up your head.

And provided (unlike every flat I've ever visited) the walls are thick e= nough so you can't hear all your neighbours shouting, using the TV, hoov= ering, running washing machines, kids running along the floor, etc.

-- =

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 14:52:15 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:=

I've never understood anyone owning a house where the front windows are = actually on the pavement. Don't kids just bang on them every time they = pass? And you'd certainly want them obscured with netting or something,= therefore you have no view.

-- =

Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "asteroids"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I might buy one for a quid. I certainly wouldn't pay house price money for something like that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Clarkson "bought" a dilapidated one to justify spending say ?24k on an Alfa Romeo.

It went something like "instead of spending 25k on the deposit on a 500k house, why not buy a house like this for only 1k, and spend the rest on a nice Alfa Romeo ?

He then looked down through a broken window pane upstairs at the front, to the Alfa parked in the street, and somebody had taken all the wheels off.

michael adams

... .

Reply to
michael adams

ey for something

Yes I remember that episode. But then I'd never buy a house where there= isn't somewhere to put my car. Abandoning it in the street is absurd. = A house with no garage/driveway is for people who don't own cars. I ne= ver understand houses which have enough garden to make into a drive, wit= h an expensive car parked on the street. Why not buy a car worth =A324K= instead of =A325K, and spend the =A31K on a bit of gravel?

-- =

Peter is listening to "Motley Crue - Chicks =3D Trouble"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ah - right. Looks like you need to open your curtains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We're talking about back to back houses without much in the way of windows, not my house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because anyone can then park across your "drive" and block you in. Or out.

And in any case in many places driving across pavements isn't permitted

To prevent this you then need to fork out a few K, to the local council, assuming this is still permitted, for a dropped kerb. The council will then modify the pavement and paint a yellow line in the road to prevent parking.

Whether they actually enforce it, or you still get blocked in or out, is another matter.

michael adams

michael adams

nstead of =A325K, and

Then get towed away costing them =A3185. Can't say that's happened to m= e much. Once in 18 years someone did it, but for 5 minutes.

If the police don't take them away, simply ram into them.

Just ignore that it's absurd.

So the pavement WAS suitable to go across.... Basically the council jus= t want to take money from you.

It's a criminal offence to block a driveway and the police can and will = tow the car away.

-- =

"Cowpoke" - someone who does not use cows for their intended purpose.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The whole idea of net curtains is you can see out, but others can't see in - provided you don't have the lights on inside - in which case it'll be evening/night and you will close the main curtains.

Now you know how net curtains work.

Reply to
Max Demian