Strange hold in window

Nor any of mine:-)

I've not actually seen one but 170 HMR ammunition has a *ballistic cap* intended to break up on impact.

Stretching several levels of credulity... supposing someone had unloaded such a round and tried it in a conventional air rifle?

Alternatively, can you not get air rifle pellets coated in Teflon?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't think the OP said where in the window the hole was (apologies to them if they did!), so I was assuming that for it to be possible there was a sill not too far out of shot.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Which was ambiguous, as he could have been meaning air guns or 'conventional' cartridge guns - so I answered each in turn.

Most people firing an airgun intending to break a window do so from more or less head on, but here the pattern of the damage shows that this was something of a glancing impact, from below and to the right of the window as one looks out of it, and I think that is probably sufficient to explain why the damage looks different from what most people have experienced.

Well, if the round was .170 and the air-rifle .177, it certainly wouldn't have the full force of the correct pellet for the gun. That could also explain the damage, but it doesn't alter the fact that it was a glancing impact and most of the other suggestions - conventional air-gun pellet, small stone or ball-bearing from a catapult - are more likely.

Dunno, in my time with such things, Teflon hadn't been invented.

Reply to
Java Jive

Do you happen to have a table of glass impact damage caused by various calibres and at various ranges? If the answer is no, then can we surmise that you're making this up?

Reply to
Onetap

Another (remore) possibility; the neighbour's washing line.

Has it been put up recently and/or is it elastic bungee cord type material? It seems to have a lot of sag in it for one iten.

Reply to
Onetap

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

Did anyone, or does anyone make a .177 cartridge rifle or gun even?...

Or shall we say .177 with a chemical propellant for the avoidance of doubt;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not that I know of, but US handloaders have produced some weird wildcat cartridges. .17 WMR, that someone mentioned, or .17 HMR are made commercially.

.177 airguns with the CI effect are very naughty and I'm sure no-one would intentionally do such a thing.

I googled conchoidal glass fractures and found some air gun forum. The view was that a lead pellet usually won't do it because it flattens; a point impact is necessary. A steel BB pellet will do it, ITHO.

Reply to
Onetap

In message , tony sayer writes

I filled the back end of one with a match head once - disappointing

Reply to
geoff

In message , Onetap writes

Google gives 170HMR as 0.172". air rifle 0.177 is 4.5mm.

Police firearms dept. are generally happy to issue a licence for vermin control as the rounds are reckoned to break up on impact.

Cost of ammo and reduction in waste may also figure. Fox is not included and target side noise also an issue.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , geoff writes

Clearly you never tried blank starting pistol caps or even .22 rim fire bird scarer rounds.

Not to mention Hilti...

For the benefit of anyone in authority alerted to this thread, my experience relates to the early 1960's:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

We used to nick them from the woodworking master's desk and take them out and drop rocks on them

Reply to
geoff

We used to buy them from the local gunsmiths on the school's tab, then drop stage weights onto them through the trapdoor.

Reply to
Andy Burns