Strange hold in window

I'm not sure, TBH. In my case it was a double-glazed window[1], so the chip just fell into the space between the panes. Anything which pecks the glass with enough force to knock a chip out like that is probably capable of sending it a fair distance though, I suppose.

[1] And in the spring, when I suspect they're more territorial; perhaps it's something that just wouldn't happen at this time of year.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Nick Odell

In message , Nick Odell writes

That made my mates place look tidy :-)

Reply to
Bill

Is it Christmas already? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Graham.

I think he might have heard a hand grenade, unless it was a noise abatement one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps its a masked aerial installer, tomorrow you will find a wire through it and silicone sealant around the hole!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably doesn't live in Manchester ..

Reply to
Andy Burns

You didn't stick your finger in the woodpecker's hole, did you?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

So how did the flake of glass get inside? The phot0 of the flake also looks curved. Does it fit back into the hole neatly?

That's big...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had a smaller version with one of my windows. There was a tiny (almost pinprick) hole on the outside of the glass, but on the inside it was around 3/4" diameter. I reckoned it was an airgun pellet, and it had bounced off.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Did you or your neighbours do any lawn mowing or striming yesterday? At the office, we had the gardners take out a full room height double glazed unit with a stone (toughened glass). Went with one hell of a bang. Only took out the outside pane though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Looks like a classic stone chip to me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't look like any of the holes I made as a youngster with my trusty .177 and .22 rifles.

Prolly one of they meteors the other nite ;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

That I'm inlined to agree with.

A tiny/small meteorite, by the time it gets to ground level, has slowed to it's terminal velocity. Still quite quick and 4" dia lump of rock or iron will crash through a roof no problem and still be quite hot so a possible fire risk.

It's only the really big ones that slam into the earth at high speed and make craters. I'm a bit miffed they didn't tell us that that one was coming in, I guess they didn't see it coming... they quite often only spot quite substantial asteroids *after* closest approach. I'd have expected NORAD or who ever to have said by now if it was a bit of man made space junk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's not melted, nor is it mysterious, it's what happens when an object harder than glass hits it at speed, IE, someone's hurled a pebble through your window.

Reply to
Phil L

...except, if I'm not mistaken (and I usually am mistaken) that's a north-facing window.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

except it was not meteorites "Experts said the sightings could be satellite debris?

-
Reply to
Mark

Kid with catapult? Air rifle dings are usually smaller.

Reply to
Onetap

  • 1, it isn't melted, it is a classical conchoid fracture
Reply to
newshound