Strange hold in window

Nobody has yet stated clearly enough that this -- whatever caused it -- is probably an accident, and wasn't aimed at you personally!

Dunno about you, but I get a bit paranoid at times. I once came back home to find the perspex window in our shed (which is by the front gate (decorously melded into the garden)) had been shattered, bits lying all over the place inside the shed. I tried to trace trajectories, and went through the possibilities of malignant kids, irresponsible teenagers with air rifles .... until I discovered the next day that the builder had swung his ladder around and caught it smartly.

John

Reply to
Another John

True, though it's hard to envisage any such accidental damage from the picture and the hole suggests a higher velocity.

A projectile of some sort seems most likely, IMHO.

Do any cats sit on the adjacent flat roofs?

Reply to
Onetap

In message , Onetap writes

I looked in the back garden last year and found the canopy over the swinging seat had a series of rips, about 6" long, in it. It looked just as though someone had repeatedly slashed it with a knife.

On reviewing the cctv I saw a cat jump off the garage roof, land on the canopy and the canopy swing vertical under the weight of the cat. The cat then spread all four legs out and tried to hang on, as it did so it slowly slid down the canopy, its claws leaving the rips. Even though I was somewhat pi55ed off at the damage I was in hysterics at the sight!! If it had been higher definition it would have gone on "you've been framed"

Reply to
Bill

september-21

If it was from a bit of meteor then it would only be grain of sand size but a lot of energy in it. Just think you could have made the record books if it had hit you. Trivia note- no one ever killed by a meteor , just one dog killed in Egypt apparently

Reply to
N_Cook

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

Air rifle or gun..

I rather much doubt that someone would have such a beast as a .22 cart rifle seeing the palaver you have to go to these days to get a licence for one of they and I believe there're not that popular with the criminal fraternity.

And as you say with one of them the damage would have been a lot greater then than experienced...

Dunno where that might have come from or bounced off on its way there;!...

Yes quite plausible..

Reply to
tony sayer

Or a meteorite even B-)

And that wasn't really proven.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

trusty .177 and .22 rifles."

Reply to
Java Jive

We had several firearms in the family, though of course my father owned a farm. We had 12 and 20 bore shotguns, a .22 rifle, and I also had an air-rifle, which I think was 0.177. We also regularly fired ex-army issue .303 Enfield rifles as part of CCF training at school (about the only thing that I could do decently in CCF).

I was quite a good shot with both a .22 and a .303, but best of all with a .303 training gun that had a .22 bore - they were rock steady. I wasn't much good with a shot gun until my father paid for me to have a day's training at Holland & Holland, by the end of which I was happily knocking clays out of the sky.

My brother won the inter-schools championship at Bisley one year, firing .303s.

But to return to t>

Reply to
Java Jive

expert. You have deduced all manner of stuff from a photograph of a hole in a window; I think not, Sherlock. You are deluding yourself. 'We' don't know anything about it, other than that it's a hole in the glass.

Well, my armchair expertise having seen the photo is likely to be closer than yours, as you clearly haven't bothered to look at it either at all, or at least not very closely because you failed to spot something rather obvious in the photo ...

... which is that the photograph shows that the window is either not on the ground floor, or at least that his ground floor level is significantly above the outside ground level, sufficiently so for the projectile to have come from where I stated.

fired from the windows on the line of sight opposite would have enough energy to penetrate the glass. I doubt anyone would be firing proper firearms out of a window. And don't start with the parabolas.

As I have never claimed anything in this last paragraph, it's relevance is?

Obviously you don't care, so why not shut the f*ck up, and let those who actually know something about firearms, having used them quite a lot at one time, try and help the OP, who came here asking for help?

Yawn, just another abusive time-waster speaking through where the sun don't shine.

Plonk!

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

It was a northern phenomenon. It could have been a catapault hit too.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It was a northern hemisphere phenomenon but my understanding is that the (what turned out to be) space debris travelled from east to west.

To the OP: is it a north-facing window?

It could have been a lot of things but I think I'm on pretty safe ground to rule out meteorites and space junk.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

On Sep 23, 6:06=A0pm, Java Jive wrote: Stop top posting, fool!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I assumed that the OP didn't think that woodpeckers were out to get them... ;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

oooh, know something about firearms, do we? I'm so impressed.

Cordite hasn't been used as a small arms propellant since about WW2, if not before.

.177 and .22 are common air gun bores. He might have been referring to .22 rimfire with the latter, but it's not likely. It's you that has dragged firearms into this to use it as a stage for your posturing as a ballistics expert.

You know sod all about firearms. There were none involved here. Back to MoH for you, child.

Reply to
Onetap

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

U Lucky spoilt barsteward;!)...

We only had here 12 bores over 'n under and side by side and a 410 and my dad did have an Anschutz IIRC once, excellent that was for picking off rat's from a long way away;).

His day job once was an armourour on Spit's at Duxford and in North Africa.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Observing Newtons laws where would this woodpecker have perched to exert the forces needed to have cracked said window;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Mutant cross between a gecko and a woodpecker

They're all over the place, haven't you seen them?

Reply to
geoff

I guess so, though for many reasons that I won't go into I can assure you that it didn't particularly feel like it at the time ...

Yes, I used to get a few rats with the .22!

During WW2, my father was an artillery spotter in the army, at least he was until he took a bullet in the stomach at Arnhem. It was from a machine gun post, and he fell in its field of fire. He lay doggo pretending to be dead for a while, and then suddenly got up and dashed for cover, apparently taking the gunner completely by surprise, because he made it (obviously, or I wouldn't be here writing this). Despite the wound, he joined others walking out of the tightening enclave, and, finding he was the senior officer, led them out, for all of which he was awarded an MC.

Unfortunately, by now estranged from all of us, his trunk full of all his prized possesions went missing during his final years in Brighton, so we don't know what happened to the medal, or even to all the family photos that he took - he was quite a keen photographer.

However, at least I still have his standard army issue Ross binoculars that I think he almost certainly used at Arnhem, because he gave them to me when he bought some new, more powerful Japanese ones.

Reply to
Java Jive

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

Suppose not;!.,.

;)..

Brave bloke, and I'd feel well proud to have a dad like that:)...

I think the most notable thing my dad did was to put a few Arab girl's in the club and shoot off the top of a generals tent demo'ing just how good the guns were on a Spit;!...

Mine left around a half a ton of ex WW2 ammo in his bedroom when he died and we had a bit of a job convincing old bill what was there;!..

Reply to
tony sayer