Stop with the political stuff.

On 12/02/16 18:55, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I dunno - uk.l.m is actually a fairly busy place.

Absolutely. Seen it happed elsewhere and it will happen here. Sadly, the worst offenders are so much up their own arse, they don't care. They need any outlet for their bile.
--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Bet it doesn’t, just because there are very few groups with much activity anymore, just because usenet is fading into obscurity now.

And this will simply be one of the last to go.
All the others I once read suffered the same fate. Lots of OP posting before dying.
--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:53:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Maybe we need another prefix to replace OT to indicate it's some 'not even vaguely d-i-y related, mostly political bs'?
1) It seems most people here accept that genuine d-i-y related conversation (as most would consider it) is very much topic. Putting up a shelf, painting a wall, adding a socket to building a house yourself I guess? ;-)
2) Someone 'trying to do something themselves' is generally also on topic here these days, even if not traditional d-i-y. So replacing the caps in some electronics, computer networking (so how / where to run cables etc), refilling a hydraulic jack etc.
3) I think acceptable OT (here) would be stuff like asking if you have had the right job done or been charged reasonably by a professional (as there are also professionals here). It's OT as such because you are doing the work yourself as a D-I-Y'er and the job was actually done by a non d-i-y'er as such.
4) Totally unacceptable OT's would be anything 'religious or political', *except* where it might *directly* relate to d-i-y. Like, new rules that might limit what work a d-i-y'er can do or if biting the top off some product that came sealed with pig fat cause a particular religion some difficulty. ;-)
And that's it really. I think all I have outlined above is what this n/g used to be like not so long ago and agree with others here that there are (could / should be) 'other places' for any of the rabid, bigoted, fanatic, political soapboxing we seem to suffer from a tiny minority.
If there isn't a 'like down the Sun reading / Watchtower / Pub / Linux User Group, Front Porch' type n/g then I'm sure those who want to make one, could. Except, who would they then be preaching at?
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:53:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

+1
Thomas Prufer

And that is because some choose to read and write the political stuff.

They died anyway, nothing to do with OP posting.

Other thing that most hate is sock puppets, Wodney.
--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag, Davey Plowboy.
The point is though, that if you just look or open threads that you are interested in, the fact that trolls and off topic messages are there is of a very minor irritation to me at least. I guess if just them being there is a niggled then kill file the person starting it, but it is a slippery slope as sooner or later many other normal users will reply and then you have to decide if you want to add them to your kill file or not.
The chance of stopping the odd off topic or political thread is probably nil. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
Yes Brian I can KF those I find totally grating however this does not solve the problem (not yet on this froup but it is starting) of OT posts becoming the norm and killing the froup off . Totally agree that very few (if any) will actually modify their behaviour because of anything I have posted.