Tap hose connector threads

I've got a couple of outside taps - tried to connect hose up to one today and failed - just - the black adapter is just just just too small, the yellow connector is too big. What is the right size?

AnthonyL

Surprised the yellow part does not fit because it looks a standard bib tap. You might want to change the tap anyway as it does not have a back flow va lve usually identifiable by a small nut type protrusion underneath the body of the tap, it will then meet current WRAS regulations for outside taps.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I didn't expect the yellow part to fit but these hoselock connector sets come with a step down(?) adapter - the black one and I was disappointed that doesn't fit.

It's probably been there since 1968 and is just inside the garage.

I just want to sensibly attach a hose :(

Reply to
AnthonyL

The yellow fitting is pretty certainly 3/4" BSP, and the black insert would adapt it to fit a 1/2" BSP tap.

But - for some obscure reason - some taps were made with 5/8" BSP threads - so they're neither fish nor fowl. I suspect that your tap is one of those.

One of these would probably fit

if you can't find anything cheaper.

Reply to
Roger Mills

But, older taps have a different thread. I had to hunt to find a suitable adaptor ring. At one point Hozelock used to sell a pack of assorted tap adaptors - they may still do - but only the better places stocked them, Try ebay.

Reply to
charles

I'd guess 1968 which is when the house was built. The washing machine hose fits the black adapter so I guess the adapter is 3/4" and my tap is something else.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The tap may well be in the garage but you are still attaching a hose to it therefore it needs a back flow valve. You already have the fittings to fit a standard bib tap, so change the tap you will probably expend more time an d effort to find the right adaptor and still not comply with WRAS.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Is it that obvious from the photo? I don't want to have to call in a plumber and I guess I'm going to have to switch the water off.

Is WRAS retrospective? I don't mind doing yet more work on this (new to me) house but not work that I don't have to do.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Who knows. I have a similar issue with some washing machine hoses and the threaded ends of the taps that they go onto. Who changes these things when the old ones worked for years. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It may be prudent to fit one, to avoid the potential penalties should there be contamination of the supply, but the 1999 water fittings regulations are not retrospective, so a backflow preventer is only a requirement if the tap is changed.

Reply to
Nightjar

B&M Bargains sell packs of this sort of stuff for ?1.49. If nothing quite fits, PTFE is cheap.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire