Stop with the political stuff.

+1

I love the thread drifts and "OT" stuff *if* it is still relevent to practical stuff in another field (eg "Best computer, networks etc, something about cars).

But this continuous drivel about UKIP, immigrants and such is tedious. There are plenty of newspaper comment sections for this stuff - and indeed I say what I think over there too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Cobblers. This NG has more posts than all the others I follow put together - by far.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And web forums suck for the most part.

I posted a question on Android Enthusiasts (part of StackExchange/StackOverflow group of sites) asking:

"Anyone know of an SMS app with a rules engine that can eg: delete SMSes matching certain criteria after say X minutes".

The reason (also given) was Android's security system prevents non default-SMS-app apps from doing certain operations such as deleting SMSs, otherwise I could have just got Tasker to do it. Tasker already sends an SMS and parses the reply - it just can't get rid of the result afterwards.

It was voted "off topic". WTF???

I've seen that before - they'd rather expend more energy being little forum gods than actually helping.

There are some good web forums, but finding one is actually way harder than finding a good news groups.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And it's noticeable that 'arry has stayed out of this thread.

Arrgh!! That's his name mentioned three times now. Watch him appear. ;O)

Reply to
soup

You didn't notice the ' to replace the h?

Is it like 'the Scottish play'?

or He Who Must Be Shunned? (HWMBS)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And it will die out with the current readers. No new ones will be interested in a DIY group that has so much rubbish on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More people post rubbish than Q/As about DIY it's the DIY that is dying. And that's because less peole are doing it and why the age group on this NG is relatively high compared to FB.

usenet isn't exaclty the lastest or most eciting place to be.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Boring drivel. Everybody makes OT contributions from time to time. Most I find interesting. Keeps the group going when there's not much else. It's boring too, half wits asking simple questions they could easily have found on the internet.

Reply to
harry

Never mind, H. I for one at least find your loony leftie ravings entertaining to some degree, so keep it up. We all need a laugh. And I think I speak for everyone here when I say that. ;->

Reply to
Julian Barnes

It is however the least frustrating...

Web forum:

Register;

Pass some unreadable CAPTCHA;

Ack email;

Search 1000 super specific boards with 3 readers each and decide where we post the message.

Post message;

Wait for moderator to reject it on some random reason;

If message passes, wait for 3 weeks whilst it gets 15 views and no replies.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The only thing that would kill it would be moderation. That was my observation with uk.legal when that step was taken. Moderated newsgroups are very dull, sterile places and many fall by the wayside.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Young people don't do DIY anymore because they don't own their own home until they're well into their 30s these days. Young people rent or live with their parents and in both cases, fixing things up when they go wrong is down to someone else.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Ah!! Damn clever.

Reply to
soup

I dunno - uk.l.m is actually a fairly busy place.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Where people rarely quote, or even specify who it is they're responding to. So that the majority of threads are just a series of comments left hanging in the air.

It's almost as if "copy" and "paste" had never been invented.

michael adams

michael adams