Steel Safe

How can they make a steel safe(alledgedly) and sell it for this price?

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think it's safe (oof) to say it's made in the ROC ergo, v cheap labour etc.

Reply to
.

pmsl, I was going to put something along the lines of..."must have not been able to aquire the Microwave parts"

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|How can they make a steel safe(alledgedly) and sell it for this price? |

as they always do Use slave labour. =20 Screw the manufacturer down to an absolute minimum price. Do not hold stocks. Sell every last one.

The quality will be middle of the range. =20 Suitable for valuable papers, but not the wife's Diamond Tiara.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

In message , The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote

Why do other retailers rip us off and sell it for £50/100?

Reply to
Alan

because that's what the market will stand :-(

Reply to
.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I'm sure I've seen similar piled up high in B&Q for not much more than Aldi's price.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I like the wording..." stash those important household/business documents away from prying eyes in this solid steel safe.", hahaha these are the words of a safe breaker in 50's.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think you mean the PRC.

Reply to
rrh

It's probably reasonable protection against theft (unless your wall or floor disappear with it) *but* it does not claim to be a fire safe. No protection for valuable papers.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm curious as to what "valuable papers" might be other than bank notes or documents of sentimental value.

I can't think of any official or semi-official documents for which copies (certified or otherwise) can't be obtained.

- Title deeds are no longer relevant

- Copies of wills, certificates of birth, marriage and death are replaceable

- Share certificates are replaceable.

- So are insurance policies

- Contracts perhaps?

Copies of all of these can be lodged in multiple places.

Using a safe for security purposes is simply an invitation to steal and cause damage doing so. Perimeter protection and obfuscation of valuables is more effective and there's no need to have to go to Aldi.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|How can they make a steel safe(alledgedly) and sell it for this price? |

as they always do Use slave labour. Screw the manufacturer down to an absolute minimum price. Do not hold stocks. Sell every last one.

...and pack them and ship them half way around the world and then distribute them.

John

Reply to
john

just like 'we' used to do when our economy was roaring.

plus ca change ...

Reply to
.

Good question Alan! Same with power tools, now they are available at 'real' prices has anyone noticed that the branded manufacturers have all reduced prices significantly?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

In message , Andy Hall wrote

Spend

Reply to
Alan

So lodge copies in different places.... or scan them and lodge those copies electronically somewhere.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have a small safe (not an Aldi one) for all my car and bike keys.

They may be able to break through my 'perimeter' but at least they'll not be driving my stuff away in my own car !

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Passport. Driving Licence. Also the replaceable items can lead to a lot of hassle and copies aren't always much of a substitute. We've got a fire-proof-ish lock-box for this sort of thing + keys, they could nick it but they wouldn't be able to run very fast.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

That depends on whether the title has been registered and even then some deeds have historical interest.

It was alleged on the box earlier this month that 50% of the country is not yet registered at the Land Registry. Compulsory registration has been in operation for some years (NE Essex from 1990) but that only applies when a property is sold. Transfer by way of inheritance doesn't trigger compulsory registration.

Reply to
Roger