staining pine floorboards

Hi there

this is my first post and I wondered if anyone could give me som advice.

I have just finished sanding the floorboards in my Victorian house, an they have come out a beautiful light yellow pine colour.

I have just been experimenting in one corner with various types o varnish - ronseal clear satin outdoor varnish, sadolin clear and danis oil and all are making the wood come out much darker and very orange. I've noticed that even when I just get it a bit wet it goes the sam dark orange colour.

Is this just the nature of the wood, or is there any way I can seal i and keep the light colour?

Cheers vick

-- thebunuk

Reply to
thebunuk

Try one of the water based polyurethanes ie Boni Kemi/Jumkers Strong/Beckers, Ronseal Quickcure, as they are water based they don't colour like the spirit based.. Grumps

Reply to
Grumps

Yes - don't use diybanter.com :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

A water-based product will be lighter than most other varnishes. Some darkening is inevitable.

BY FAR the best product to use is Rustin's Floorcoat. It's acid catalysed (you mix in a little pot of goop before starting) and _stinks_ when using it, but this goes away completely after a few hours. It is harder, better looking and much longer lasting than the competition. Use

3 coats. Lesser varnishes may want more coats.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'll vouch for that, and it doesn't change the colour at all. I prefer to apply it with a rag to keep the mellow/just sanded look. Any varnish starts to look artificial if you allow it to build up on the surface.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I used a water based varnish in my childrens bedroom to avoid the smells and it was rubbish. After a couple or years there are great patches where the varnish has worn through. I am now stuck with revarnishing with oil based varnish which will look patchey or with waterbased and hope that it hides the patches and it wont last.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

I don't think water borne acrylics have progressed to the point where where you can get a hard finish at room temperature. The big furniture manufacturers can do it, but they have a controlled environment. All the water based varnishes I've seen are soft and plasticky looking, and your Ronseal solvent based polyurethane isn't too long lasting either. The acid catalysed system already referred to is the way to go if you only want to do the job once.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just a note on pine floorboards--don't ever allow anyone to wear those spikey highhealed shoes. Takes ages to "iron" out the dents.

Reply to
JimP

Why not? Doesn't NTL allow you to use it?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

It messes up the threading and quoting.

Reply to