Untreated wood (pine ?)

Hi all. Have bought a curtain pole (B&Q) which is untreated and very light , I think it is some kind of pine how should I treat this wood ? I do not want to significantly change its colour (so painting is out). Child who's room it is meant for is asthmatic so I don't want it to significantly ofgas. So what would be the best system for treating this wood some sort of low solvent clear varnish, a wax or what ?

Reply to
Soup

In message , Soup writes

Wax or clear varnish. Use the "quick drying interior clear satin" version (Ronseal being the common brand). A confusing array of varnishes in the average DIY emporium, so check the tin carefully for quick drying (20-30mins touch dry) and WATER brush clean up. The product in the tin is milky-white, but dries clear and will barely alter the colour of the wood.

Reply to
Steven Briggs