Pine door finish.

I'm about to replace some wardrobe doors with louvred pine doors, probably from Wickes, if it makes a difference. They are supplied unfinished "ready for painting or varnishing" I won't be painting them, but I'm not sure I want to use varnish either, don't want them too glossy. Would some form of polish be a better solution, or maybe linseed oil or somesuch? and what would be the downside?

TIA Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Look for a matt finish wood stain - one of the microporous types - and put a few coats on. If you don't and there is any dampness from clothes that have been put away before they are fully aired then the doors and laths will absorb the moisture and warp in time. Likewise a bedroom can be a very damp place with two bodies emitting moisture and all the windows and doors closed on a cold winter night.

On the other hand unless you get some good heavyweight doors, they will probably warp on their own anyway!

Hickson's Decor is a very good stain which I used on a pair of hi-fi speakers over 20 years ago and they still look as good as new - but I did put five coats on!

An alternative is Danish Oil. It does take time to dry and smells a bit nutty until then - and full drying even in a warm house can take over a week. You will need to recoat them about every five years or so. When we moved here we bought some Victorian pine doors that had been removed from a house in the town. We had them stripped, cut them down to size, and coated them with Danish Oil - that was in early 1991. I think we have recoated them twice or maybe three times since and they still look as good as they did 22 years ago.

Reply to
Woody