Treating Pine Wood

I have acquired some Pine to build planters for my patio & some cabinets. What is the best way of treating Pine wood so it lasts outside? Teak Oil, Stains Varnishes etc?

How does one prepare the wood please? CJ UK

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Burn it. The ashes will last indefinitely if placed in an urn.

Sorry Couldn't resist. :-)

Pine is a Bad choice of wood for that application. (Especially if you live in the north and use white pine. Southern (or ponderosa) pine may be somewhat better if it has a high resin content -- but that is a guess.) Use Cedar or Ipe. Or line the containers with plastic after you build them. Better still use Cedar or Ipe AND line the containers.

And as a very wise person once said. Don't finish the cedar. Unless you enjoy refinishing the material every year or two. Better off to spend the time watching your flowers grow.

Reply to
WillR

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Pine ? Or hemlock ? Because there's very little real "pine" sold retail in the UK. You might get southern yellow pine or parana pine if you ask specifically, but usually "white deal" will be hemlock and "red deal" douglas fir or maybe spruce.

In the UK ? Forget it ! You should try larch insted, or eastern red cedar. Chestnut or oak if you have the budget, but pine is just a waste of time and effort.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Pine? Outdoors? In-compatible unless kept dry and then painted.

Dave

Teamcasa

Best answer. Enclose some sort of polyethylene container in pine, leave the bottom open, so it never has to deal with standing water, and it'll be fine. Don't treat it. Lots of barns in the US are B&B pine, hemlock, or even (real) poplar.

Reply to
George

Burn it with the propane torch, wire brush it off, and cover it with polyurethane...

:-) j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I also received pine and used ut outdoors, for benches and tables around the pool.. I used a brush & roller to flood them with good quality redwood stain (before assembly, if possible) and they've been out there for 2 summers and most of their 3rd winter.. No rotting or softening yet, but I do recoat them each spring, when we recoat the decking..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis