What to fill woodworm channels in old pine with

I need to fill some woodwrm channels that appeared in my old pine floorboards after sanding. Any suggestions what to use? Afterwards I'll be applying varnish.

TIA

Frank

Reply to
Frank W

Cuprinol fast-drying wood filler, available runny in paint-tin like tins. Keep the lid on when not in use. Apply with a filling knife and sand flat after in the direction of the grain. Use a colour that is *darker* than your intended finish.

I recommend Ronseal Heavy Duty floor varnish. Diamond glaze is a waste of money if the floor can be indented.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Thank you for the tip!

Thanks for this tip too! I have already bought some 'performance' eggshell floor varnish from Wickes. I guess it is Wicke's version of the Ronseal stuff. I hope it is good stuff. I suspect it is, because I've never had many comlaints with Wickes products in the past.

Frank

Reply to
Frank W

or you could mix the sawdust with some pva glue, ive found it works a treat.

tony

Reply to
tony

how about cheese mixed with pva glue

May be not

David

Reply to
David

a woodworm ought to fit nicely ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Woodworm (actually longhorn beetle larvae) are wider than their channels and won't fit back in.

This marvellous entomological observation is brought to you by Emmie (7), who was fascinated by my woodpile and spent all afternoon pulling the bark off waney timber to see what she could find underneath.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think I'll try that - thanks for the tip

Frank

Reply to
Frank W

Yes, I read that. The filler should not be too far different in colour from the boards, just darker. Light filler sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's OK, but it doesn't take stain properly, and is hard to get a good finish on. Sanding PVA glue is a PITA.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

I've had lots of problems with some of their stuff, but the "Master" paint range does seem good, and good value for money to boot. Perhaps you'll comment after using this varnish?

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

You have to stretch them first.