Garage Door Construction...

A recent thread on a garage roof reminded me that I really need to tidy up my (warping softwood ply) garage doors before winter...

The sizes are 1.1x1.7m and both open outward rather than a single up and over.

I was thinking of something fairly quick and cheap, ledge and brace, or exterior OSB back panel and vertical T&G front boards (I don't care what the inside looks like).

WRT the OSB idea, this will give about 40mm thickness, which is about right, but are the panels likely to distort much?

Has anyone got any other ideas that would match in with a shiplap clad structure and are reasonably quick to make / cost effective?

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

My neighbour & I rebuilt his garage / workshop earlier in the year - and used 3/4" Blockboard for the pair of doors (each was 4' wide x about 7ft high). The blockboard is ply on the outside and glued-together treewood battens inside - makes it very rigid.

In his case he had a couple of angle-iron frames which we fitted around each door and bolted to the blockboard - but I think this wasn't really necessary...

To tie in with the shiplap we lightly routed some fake 'joint lines' across the doors - looks OK and shows no tendency to warp. Take care to protect the edges of the board to keep moisture out.

HTH Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks for the info, I'll bear the blockboard approach in mind.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I have my original 1939 garage doors still in place ( albeit with refurbishment ). They are made of ledged and braced tongue and groove. I can get you measurements if you want, thicknesses etc, as obviously they are a design that has stood the test of time!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Thanks Andy, approx. thickness of the ledges/braces and T&G would be interesting, but /please/ don't put yourself out. I have done 6 or so internal ledge and brace doors so I have a gut feel for how thick they would need to be at 1.0m wide rather than 0.7-0.8m wide.

Reply to
AlexW