Spot the knut

Newsnight 22:55 3rd April 2013

Probably on iplayer live

Reply to
Harry The Bastard

you'd think he'd have put some decent clothes on "for posterity"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

all cnuts anyway. So whahts the especial one singled out for your ire?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Voiceover: "Harnessing mother nature's endless supply of energy could be the holy grail of cutting bills and exactly what Harold Armitage has done in his Herefordshire home"

Harry: "We can charge the car up, free petrol"

Reply to
Andy Burns

honestly harnessing harry's farts could be the endless supply of free energy we are all looking for, but I doubt it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure I heard the voiceover saying that Harold spent 20,000 installing solar panels, and receives 4,000 p.a. for his supply to the national grid. That seems an improbably good return to me. Did I mishear the article, or is it really such a good investment? Or is it just the beeb trying to get us sold on solar power?

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

It was bollocks. I make about half that. The rest is from having no gas bill. I did make that clear. Or the Beeb has a hidden agenda. I am trying to make the point that no-one needs central heating or indeed much heating at all. I think they are all in the pockets of the gas sellers.

Reply to
harry

Probably 10k on panels and 10k on kingspan, the "good return" is from your pocket to his.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A 4k solar PV system is about £6.5k ATM. With 15.4p FITs it probably returns more than those that paid the price they were when FITs were 41p.

I am more interested in the RHI if they ever actually release it. At least it does something useful without de-stabalising the grid.

Reply to
dennis

You never met my late grandmother then:-).

When I used to visit her she had the CH heating and the gas fire on. I used to strip down to just the T shirt (trousers still on before anyone asks) as I went in and the first question she used to ask me was "Aren't you cold?". Well not really as it's 30 deg inside here.

So the next time I went to see her I kept my jumper on and she said "You had better take your jumper off or you will not feel the benefit when you go outside".

She's the Grandmother on the Mothers side, so part of the idiot side.

Reply to
ARW

That implies a previous price of around 17k for a 4kW system. Were they ever that much when the feed in tarriff was at its peak??

Reply to
Old Fart

Yes they were. i think it was to get the installers established and to induce people to take up the completely new (to them) technology.

Reply to
harry

Why should they "destablise the grid"? I too have a RHI project in the pipeline waiting to see what happens. (Hot water).Supposed to be any time now.

Reply to
harry

a.k.a. "the gravy train"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

harry still justifying his killfile entry, then.

Reply to
Huge

The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology has for "knut": "fashionable smart young man" c. 1910.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Clearly a subject you know nothing about then.

Reply to
harry