Cutting Kitchen Decor End Panels

Hi,

I am installing a Wickes Imola kitchen for a friend and there are some very expensive decor end panels for the tall larder and oven housing cabinets. These are made too long and too wide and need to be trimmed to suit.

As they will be on show, what is the best way to cut these so that there is no damage to the edge that I want to cut. What is the best tool or blade to use.

On a couple of the cabinets, I have to cut one around the stair sloop that comes into the kitchen so that the top part of the cupboard with be a triangle in shape. The door facia will need to be cut as well. What will be the best way to do this as well.

Thanks for you help.

Reply to
CadmannUK

Well you put the cut edges where they will be the least conspicuous for a start, (Bottom and back?)

If these are chipboard with a melamine face, you need to cut from the back/non visible side if using a circular saw and from the front with a hand saw. This minimises the chipping effect on the visible side.

If both side are visible, you can cut the stuff about 3mm oversize and bring down to size with a belt sander used parallel to the material NOT across it.

It's also possible to make a deep score (Stanley knife or similar) on the line to be cut and cut on the waste side of this cut to prevent "flaking" of the finish on the bit you want.

Reply to
harry

Cut about 3mm oversize with a circular saw or jigsaw, and finish off with a router - using a parallel cutter, and clamping a straight strip of wood an appropriate distance in from the edge, to use as a guide.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks Harry, Roger,

I think that these decor end panels are actually MDF with a melamine facing surface.

I was thinking of doing just the things you said, cutting close and finishing off with the belt sander.

Roger, if I used the router wouldn't it still chip the melamine finished surface?

I am also going to have to cut down a couple of doors. These are not paneled, but flat melamine finished like the decors ends, but one need to be cut to a triangle shape to fit under the stair slope. If I cut and sand, what is the best way to seal and finish the cut edge as you will see it when the top cupboard door is opened. (its above the double oven).

The colour and finish on the facias/doors are a shiny white, slightly grained finish. I was hoping to use something to maybe seal and finish the end in white. There isn't any edging I can buy to glue on, unless anyone know who make the Wickes Imola units.

Thanks Cad

Reply to
CadmannUK

Not if you use a sharp cutter, and move the router in the correct direction.

Are these light-weight doors, made out of a couple of thin sheets with a honeycomb filling? If so, the strips of wood down the sides and top and bottom are fairly thin, and don't allow for much trimming. If you trim a door beyond the edge strips (like cutting a corner off), you'll expose the honeycomb, and you'll need to remove some of it and glue in a suitable strip of wood.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
paulwrightson52