spelling of "tooving" for bricks?

When my (excellent) builder talks about removing a few bricks from a wall to replace them he says "toove them out". But google recognises no such word.

What is the actual word for "digging out a few bricks from a wall" please?

thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Toothing them out ...

Andy Burns

Such that the new ones are "toothed in" you mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah yes, of course, thanks. My hearing is not what it was :-(

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Half past six mate Brian..

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It may have been a matter of builder diction. Years ago when my hearing was still top-notch it took me a little while to work out what a roddenaye was when a builder asked if I had one.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn