source for Grommets

Trying to find a small number of Grommets (20) to fit in existing

14mm hole, and once fitted will be a good fit for a 7.5mm diam cable.

Tried Maplin with no luck .... Halfords only seem to sell mixed packs, CPC stock them but only in bags of 100

A Google turned up a couple of manufacturers .. but again in packs of

100 only, plus they don't want to deal with retail purchase.

Anybody know of a supplier ?

The job is to wire up a number of 'Brick' lights, I have already laid in the cable, using HiTuff, with the hard outer sheath removed this leaves a 7.5mm diam 3core cable which I want to take into the fitting via a Grommet. If I can't find any I guess I 'll have to resort to blobs of Silicone sealant.

Reply to
Osprey

Two sources here,not had a look to see if they sell gromm's but also have a look for rubber tubing that has a split down the length of it,cant remeber the name but its used for protecting ally plates edging.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just wondering but wouldn't you want to also take the sheath into the box via the grommet to maintain the 'seal' if you like against the outer skin?

Some silicone around that or better maybe a 'strain relief' grommet (the ones with the thin rubber tube joined to the grommet bit) that you could put a small cable tie round and maybe over wrap with some self amalgamating tape?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The price of 100 grommets from CPC is probably less than the price of 20 from some retail store. In that situation, I'd buy the 100, and either keep the rest for a rainy day (!) or Freecycle them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Seems like the best bet use what you want, put the others on eBay, Freecycle or keep for other projects (I'd do the last...).

erm, is this outside? In which case you really ought to be using a proper gland and taking the entire cable through it into the fitting.

Nasty horrible bodge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

won't be on the website but phone him up (Kevin) or email him.

Shokk

Reply to
Shokka

use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Strip some twin and earth cable and use the rubber sheath as a make shift grommit by lining the hole with the stripped outer sheath. Makes a useful u section after it has been stripped by using the central earth cable! Regards Legin

Reply to
legin

HiTuff ... if you have not used it ... is like a standrd 3 core cable, i.e. pvc outer sheath, it also has a 2nd very tough thick outer sheath. This is inflexible ... too inflexible to feed into the light fittings. The HiTuff runs along behind a 12" thick block wall ... it passes through drilled holes in the wall to pass to front skin ... where there is a one brick opening .... I have removed the outer sheath such that it is only removed after about 4" into the drilled hole.

This was my reason anyway.

Reply to
Osprey

There is no requirement for this ... not knocking the idea, but certainly no requirement.

In fact the lights come with a grommet for installation... just too small for cable I'm using.

Reply to
Osprey

I'm not an expert on Hituf, but have a look at this...

Dave Plowman (News)