Source for black matt plastic 1m x 8-10cm wide

Have posted previously, looking for a source of black matt plastic 1m x

8-10cm wide. Suggestion was signwriting or RS Components.

Cant find anything suitable in the RS site. Been to a couple of signwriting shops, without sucess.

Any other suggestions. Alternative plan is to use aluminium sheet, and spray black.

After years of thinking about it! Ive finally decided to build a new hood >for the aquarium (never happy with the original and have never finalised >the >design of the replacement untill now), rather than use wood (and the issues >with moisture etc ) I have decided to keep to plastic as the original is. > >I have worked out the design is but I am unsure where to source the >materials. This would need to be matt black (original has a matt "rough" >design) > >For the hood facings I require a small supply (about 3 pcs) of flat acrylic >strip, about 8-10cm wide and about 1m long. Thickness is not critical, so >about 2-3mm should do. Plus the lids, which would be (2pc) about 1m long, >and 15cm wide. > >Ideally I could also do with a with a piece of "square" acrylic bar, size >not too important for the internal frame (lip), something around 10mm >square >should do it (colour not important as it is unseen) > >Can anyone suggest a supplier or source? >

A local signwriting firm or RS Components

Reply to
Pete

438-6370 or 680-741
Reply to
Grunff

Focus/B&Q. Obtain a sheet of acrylic, sand, paint black.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

signwriting

Perspex (trade named acrylic sheet) is available in all shades of grey from light smoke to black, in 3mm sheet. AFAIK it's always shiny, but acrylic is easy to refinish with wet and dry paper for polishing. If you only use the finest grade of wet and dry, used wet, it should be possible to get an even matt finish on black sheet.

It's glueable, and reasonably easy to work with care.

The supplier I know is a plastics supplier in the Merton Road, SW London, who will cut to size, but you should be able to find a plastics supplier near you. It's also possible to get bar, rod and tube, but usually not in colours.

Not sure if you have priced it, but this stuff is NOT cheap!

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley