Some more actual DIY, another bit of furniture

Sorry to interrupt the euro babble, but I did manage to get a project that has been cluttering up the workshop for a while finished:

John Rumm

Sweet.

The only drawback might be having to turn it round to become the steps (if aren't sitting facing the bookcase)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe add some of those casters that retract when weight is applied to them?

In the interests of balance, I really should do a write up of how I assembled an Argos bookcase with one of the panels on backwards.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Or got the panel right and the rest on the wrong side of it.

Reply to
PeterC

Very nice.

But perhaps you could've enabled your 5' (and a bit!) wife to be more versatile:

Richard

No, it was definately 90% right. I only had to make good 1 panel.

If I'd got it the other way around I'd have had to knock a hole through the wall to use it from the other room.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've never even heard of a Library Chair - but wow - nicely done!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very nice. I think I would have either had a little bit of diagonal bracing or slight reinforcement of the rebated joints - but I tend to be a bit belt and braces.

Reply to
nospam

To be fair, its not the only thing I have seen them called. but a search under that term brings up quite a few:

John Rumm

The bracing comes from the wide and tall back, and also from the apron under the front of the seat (mostly the latter). I must admit I was a little sceptical if that would be enough, but in practice it seems rock solid without any hint of "racking".

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, that could have a number of applications... Although on the downside, I would lose the ability to have a quick cuddle without my view being obstructed, and access to a handy stand for my pint! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Aha! I don't think the apron shows in the pics - I'll get back in my box and repeat "very nice"

Reply to
nospam

Oo well spotted, yup its not obvious is it.

OK added some more pictures and a copy of the assembly diagram.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's such a great design! You did a good job.

From your photos I preferred the look of the oak woodwork before it was stained. This looks lovely as it is:

pamela

Not my design, I just used an existing one. But thanks anyway ;-)

In reality there is not as much difference before to after. The unfinished images were under my workshop lighting which is bright and fluorescent, and the finished ones under relatively dim tungsten lighting - so the former is a bit cooler and the latter a bit warmer than real life.

(also the before photos are actually from the first one I made, and the after ones are photos of the second one - so you are not looking at the same chair, although they are obviously very similar. The first one was finished in a similar way, but with a dark oak stain)

Reply to
John Rumm