Soft Close Hinges

Hi

We've had a toilet with these new soft-close hinges for just over a year now (ie out of warranty) and the soft-close is no longer very soft - in fact it's quite a loud bang.

The toilet is a back to the wall and there is no access to the underside of the hinges - no little wing nuts like the old-fashioned type. After much head scratching I managed to spot the tiny grub screws on the back of the pillars connecting the hinge to the pan and eventiually managed to remove the hinges which appear to be sealed units - small steel cylinders with a protruding bar that is (I assume) friction damped inside. It would seem that the friction damping is no longer as tight as it needs to be.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with fixing these or do I just have to dump them and buy new ones? I wondered about baking them in the oven - any thoughts?

Progress eh?

Thanks Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Lightly fried maybe?

Reply to
John

Or even pan-fried?

Thanks anyway! Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I'm glad we got that sauteed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or even deep-pan crisp and even - as Good King Wenceslas likes his pizzas?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Enough already!

My logic is that maybe there has been some ingress of 'moisture' (this is a toilet fgs) which is causing a loss of friction in the hinge. On the other hand, there may be components in there which wouldn't be too happy about being heated up.

Thanks Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

In message , Thomas writes

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that eyetie-septic phrase intensely annoying ?

Reply to
geoff

If it uses a thick long chain molecule grease (like Rocol Kilopoise) then heat will cause it to expand and push out through the seal.

Reply to
John