So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

In message , Clive George writes

I very rarely concentrate on my driving, its almost exclusively handled in the subconscious, the same with e.g. skiing or other occupations where automatic responses are better and faster than conscious thought, even when driving at speeds over 100mph where you wake up a bit

When I have to start concentrating on my driving, I'll prolly hand my licence back, as I'll realise I've become as bad as dennis and clive (what a name for a comedy duo)

Which tells me that you shouldn't really be driving, there is no natural ability there

Reply to
geoff

I had to drive to Warwick services yesterday, from Preston, Lancs.

I entered a 50 MPH zone that did not have the obligatory warning that it was coming up and I entered the first camera zone at 70 MPH. I'll let you know if I get a ticket.

This is not the first time that there has been an infringement in the sign posts on the M6. It happened some time ago, when they were making driving life very difficult for motorists.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

bank chief economists are *such* a good guide to how we should run the world.

That would be vegetables grown in heated glasshouses (heated by fossil fuels) and polytunnels (made from oil based plastics) and dosed with oil based fertilisers and pesticides etc then flown halfway round the world.

And without cattle there'd be no leather so that would mean oil based plastic substitutes for footwear, clothing and furniture.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In the 60s we used to heat a large house with coke for the stove and coal for the open fires. We lived out in the sticks and in winter deliveries of fuel could get erratic. The coke bunker took four tonnes so we generally had lots of coke when the coal had run out. Open coke fires were common and although they didn't give as much heat as the coal they worked well in an open grate.

The local bowling club used to run a barbecue which was fuelled using coke in large open pits. Less draft than an open fire and the coke still burned well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Agreed ... or you are being punted up the arse by a lorry ... ;-)

Yup. Not sure anyone here has said that though?

For most of the time and circumstances I'd agree. But consider how long it might take to miss a repeater sign when turning onto a main road and 'concentrating' on the parked car you are overtaking and the kids feet you have seen on the road underneath. Or the sign hidden behind a parked lorry or buried in the undergrowth [1].

Well maybe but whilst doing far more miles 'on the edge' in a few minutes than most drivers will do in a lifetime. But we weren't really talking about crash survival. ;-(

A 30 mph GATSO will trigger when you go past it on an otherwise empty road at 2am and at 40 mph if you saw the speed limit or camera or not. It won't trigger as you knock a school kid off their bike when doing

30 mph.

I'm not defending poor 'care' here, just that it is possible to be driving carefully and still miss 'information'.

FWIW, part of why I like and have used a GPS for many years before they became 'cool' was because I can ignore the general mess of confusing road signs and therefore try to focus on those signs that are important (like hazard warning and speed changes).

Cheers, T i m

[1] Dad was stopped years ago for 'speeding', similar to the OP story, just inside a 40 after a 60.

Plod: You know the speed limit is along here? Dad: Yes, it's 60 mph. Plod: No, it's 40 mph. Dad: Oh where does it say that? Plod: Back there (points to the back of a circle on a stick) Dad: Oh, that said 40 did it Officer? Plod: Yes. Dad: Well I couldn't see it, let's look.

Plod and Dad walk back up the road and they both look at the circle on a stick. Dad walks back to his car and drives off leaving plod trying to clean black circle with his hanky.

Reply to
T i m

And of course 600 billion humans farting like mad because of all the sprouts...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Over 45 if brought up in Lincolnshire.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had one "once". The practice had been sold on without informing patients! A Polish lady who in practice and result reminded me of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets!

Reply to
Clot

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:21:28 -0700 (PDT), Owain had this to say:

Footwear - wooden clogs. Clothing - cotton, wool or linen. Furniture - wood and possibly cotton and/or wool.

Of course, not all 'plastic' stuff is oil-based - think bakelite.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

dennis, you will no doubt expect me to disagree from our previous conversations. Please do read the section of the link entitled "Modern erosion", then perhaps you will see my point.

It's an interesting site by the way if you have not come across it.

Clot

There was a case near here on the A66 where they placed the speed camera /before/* the 50mph limit (for road works) started. Lots of FPNs had to be refunded.

  • It had been within the limmit, but they moved the goalposts.
Reply to
<me9

More like the beans (I've been suffering today!).

Reply to
<me9

Another example of that is my Mrs when she's clay shooting. If she takes advice she's crap. If she's ready and looking for them she's ok. If they surprise her she's brilliant. ;-)

Don't ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I agree with your general approach. It is driving safely under the conditions such as you describe not foolish adherence to limits to avoid technical transgression and more importantly not creating danger by driving at the speed limit when conditions do not allow.

I smiled at your father's anecdote and then pondered....

Reply to
Clot

Fixed camera? Unlikely by the sounds of it. More likely the van on it's collection round.

Reply to
Clot

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:52:28 -0000, "David WE Roberts" had this to say:

My dentist is Chinese (well, from Hong Kong), but not NHS. Others that I'm aware of are Scottish or English.

My only objection to my dentist is that he chats (usually teasing his assistantess) to me while he has my mouth wide open whilst wire-brushing or whatever, so that all I can respond is 'urgh urgh' (OWTTE).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The timewarp was still true in the early 80s. My wife and I ( both from N Wales which was quite behind the times) experienced life in Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham before moving to Gainsborough. What is it about the Trent Bridge?

Reply to
Clot

Weather is not climate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tambora and others gave the world "The year without a summer" but that was 1816.

graph, general cooling until the mid 1800's then rather rapid warming...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They certainly seem to enjoy doing that, don't they!

Reply to
Clot