So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

ER no, they end up with LESS actually: you lose benefits when you work.

I dont think they set out to be like that, it happens, and there is no reason *not* to let it happen.

Compare and contrast the 20's and 30's say, where to be an unmarried mother was to be socially beyond the pale, and to get married required that at least the man had a steady job, and enough income before the girl would, quite rightly, consider it.

Or even more than a quick fuumble in teh bushes.

People will always have sex and make babies: Its the easiest thing in the world. There needs to be a strong incentive NOT too. Or else we are all headed for a completely impoverished society. We are GROSSLY overpopulated already.

Harsh individually it may be, but collectively we need to stop supporting childbirth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

failure to do either will limit your driving career.

It's important to regard both as natural hazards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

only about 1% of drivers do., though.

Failure to do so is either

Indeed. And that covers the 99%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

After six or seven years have passed, I certainly cannot recall all the details! The road in question just prior to where the speed limit changes is on a slight curve to the left. Parked cars on the nearside with residential driveways that are regularly used at the time of day (with vegetation that can conceal dangers), a concealed footpath which goes between two houses which children have run out of into the roadway. Known and potential hazards that were far more important to me at the time than being caught at 36 mph whilst my rear bumper was possibly still in the 40 mph zone!

I have the same approach.

I certainly do!

Reply to
Clot

Bloody volcano IIRC. Krakatoa?

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed.

Reply to
Clot

Agreed, one of the issues one should be taking into account.

Reply to
Clot

I quite agree. On a long journey home last Saturday, too many drivers were driving too fast in my opinion though within legal limits during stormy wet conditions where there were significant drifts of wet leaves.

Reply to
Clot

It can't do, because parents whose sole income is benefits manage to raise a child - some of them successfully.

Lower taxes would benefit hardworking everyones.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One might suggest that. One might also suggest that it was warmer before the little ice age and before the generally accepted start of the anthropocene period.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

precisely. Take all the money from the working, then give it back to the not working, is hardly an incentive to work.

Someone I know says he dare not work for less than 300 a week Or he will lose money. He is very willing to work, and could get lower paid work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thought you said earlier volcanic eruptions (probably) ended the Ice Age?

Reply to
Ash

I've come across coal that needed forced draught, and even then hardly worked.

How did the braziers used by nightwatchmen in the 50s work? They were coke in a can with holes in and natural draught. Coal would have been stolen.

Reply to
<me9

signs at the side of the road reminding people to think...

(have they installed any that say "breathe" yet, you know, just in case?)

Reply to
Jules

The two are not mutually incompatible. Volcanoes spew out firstly huge amounts of ash that nets you a 'nuclear winter' and then that subsides, shit loads of CO2 which gives you a couple of millenia of warm weather.

I know its hard to think about complex things, but its worth trying, honest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

anthracitye is teh only pone. and to an exteng dry steam coal. Thse have low hydrocarbon content compare with lignite of normal bituminous.

If coke was so easy to use, coke would have been stolen too..

I THOUGHT they were coal actually. I guess coke must just about burn without forced draught, but is hard work. WE used to buy anthracite, coke and steam coal for a closed stove/fire. All were a devil to light compared with normal bituminous coal. Coal is a cinch in an open fire.

W used to use some steam coal or coke in the open fire, but it wasn't self sustaining - always needed ordinary coal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

... and just when I was thinking you've got something worth saying ...your sarcastic side let you down

Reply to
Ash

Go to the National railway Museum website and email the comments section with your question, and it will be forwarded to the relevant curator. My daughter works there; she is stood behind me as I type this and she says the information will be yours by return.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You're about 100 years too late for some of the biggest freezes

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It wasn't. Unmarried motherhood and its acceptability has always increased in times of social turmoil, such as post-WW1 and during the Depression. You can't apply the social mores of the 1910s or 1950s to the early '20s or '30s

Reply to
Andy Dingley