So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

I believe they are average speed cameras so if you do get done you would have had to drive at 70 for long enough for you to realise you were in the wrong.

Reply to
dennis

Oh indeedy, you could make loverly stink bomb using old knife handles. Like making them from ping-pong balls or old nitrocellulose film stock, you wrap in silver foil, scrape away a bit of foil, light it and blow it out immediately and it then creates huge clouds of choking smoke. The foil retains enough heat to cause the nitrocellulose to smoulder and vapourise but doesn't let it get hot enough to burn.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Trees?

Its a naturally occuring substance in many plants. And a constituent of creosote IIRC.

Methanol. Otherwise known as 'wood alcohol' Guess where it comes from.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No a cwt.

which isn't that much. 50kG appx.

Elfin Safety puts a limit of 35kg on what you may lift regularly.

I can do 50kg, but I'd rather not.

Yup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you turn onto a main road with a different speed limit they are signed before you turn.

You mean they die without crashing?

Gatso cameras perform a useful function, they get drivers that habitually speed points, fines and onto the police database. These drivers seldom only speed but do other things like running lights, drive too close, and generally be idiots. he sooner they attract police attention the better.

If it happens often then I suggest you take some lessons or stop taking the drugs. Of course you wont know its happening until you have a few fines + points.

I have a gps with speed warning. It tells you if you exceed the speed limit not if there is a camera there. Its a tomtom like many people use to avoid cameras. It shows that they intend to commit a crime if they only have it set to warn of speed cameras.

Reply to
dennis

'household'

The house I was born and dragged up in had a coke grate in the front room but I don't remeber it. It had cannon gas miser fire installed before my memory started working.

have a

steady

I remember collecting quite a quantity of coke ater some road works on the street. This was put on the backrooms coal fire, that coke didn't half whack out some heat compared to the coal.

banking

Aye, shut all the dampers down and cover the fire with small coals. We used the dust/bits from the coal cellar rather than buying slack.

Still have flat bed coal wagons round here, but the sacks are only

25kg these days. Sign of the times maybe but the local pit is starting production again after being mothballed in 2003.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What stops the speed limit being the maximum speed you drive at? Just because you think it is safer to drive above a speed limit doesn't mean you have to. Doing so just puts you in the class of drivers that don't care. The next thing you will be doing is jumping lights because you can see nothings coming, or driving the wrong way up one way streets because you can see nothing coming, or ignoring turn restriction, etc. You will be like geoff where everything that happens on the roads is someone else's fault.

Reply to
dennis

Its culture and that is what is being eroded by the drivers that refuse to obey traffic laws just because they think they know better. There is absolutely no safety reason why a driver has to exceed the speed limit just because they think it is safe to do so.

Reply to
dennis

I am and I do. If you were sat at the back of the classroom you were allowed to keep your coat on on very cold days.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Them woz !! I was a little bit young to be tending the fire on my own, but I did used to help. You're right about the wood to get it going. We had a big market square near where my dad worked, and the fruit and veg stalls used to leave the orange crates piled up at the edge for people to take to use as kindling. I have clear memories of meeting him off the bus, and helping to carry these orange boxes the rest of the way home.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That makes no difference. They could have been financially better off had they not had the child.

I guess that depends on what services were cut.

Reply to
Mark

Peterborough-on-Sea is coming. That'll be nice. I won't have so far to go for a day out at the seaside ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, those that drive the motorways be very aware that the signs that used to exist telling you that there is a limit approaching at roadworks are no longer in place. Under poor conditions and/or heavy traffic the non-iluminated signs that designate the start of the new limit can be hard to spot in time to slow down without braking and that's from just over 60mph not the limit of 70. Then of course the first average speed camera is only yards past the first limit sign.

I don't think there is any legal requirement to have advanced warning of the a limit change. So if approaching roadworks assume that there will be a 50 limit but note not all roadworks do have a 50 limit...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We owned a greengrocers at the time, (now where should I put that apostrophe?). A ready source of wood for me to chop. We seemed to be very popular with local families in early November when our van would arrive several times with wood for the bonfire. Also chestnuts and spuds!

Reply to
Clot

It is, but it is possible to be caught out as I have explained. They've just gone and moved another restriction from 70 to 50 mph by a hundred yards or so locally that I shall have to remember!

Reply to
Clot

Yes, the sun will explode but probably not in my life time...

Great changes will take place, many millions of people will die. We are at a turning point and the choices we make now will have affects far down the line.

Doing nothing will lead to the total collapse of modern society and return, probably quite quickly (weeks or months) once the crunch point is reached, to essentially scattered small self supporting agricultural groups.

Doing something won't allow the current extravagant modern life styles to continue but there is a chance of using our technology in a sensible manner to retain some aspects of comfort. By "comfort" I mean a food/water/energy supply that you don't have to grow or carry yourself to obtain. Sort of pre-industrial revolution but with a few added bits of technology that can be supported. How much and which bits of technology can be supported are dependant on our choices today.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

carbon.

'Cause the OP said so. B-)

This is true there are surface coal measures within a mile or two of where I sit. And the local mine is opening up again after being moth balled for 6 years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aye, I had a "good year" a while back, two or three grand more than the previous year. Trouble is my Working Tax credit then dropped. You know how much extra cash was in my wallet from that two or three grand? About =A3500... hardly worth the extra effort.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The point is that you shouldn't remember you should look. You need to be able to do that anyway unless you only ever drive new routes with supervision.

Reply to
dennis

What useter be the rain forest ?

Without actually knowing my intuition tells me there will be less such desirable content in fast growing softwoods.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard