So what's wrong with 18mm spanners?

So there I am with a pack of M12 flange nuts and lots of threaded rod, and I need an 18mm spanner...

Except the first set I try goes from 17mm to 19mm, so I look at my socket set, same. Another socket set, same. The deep socket set included with the pneumatic impact wrench, same again!

Had to use an adjustable in the end!

Reply to
John Rumm

Didn't you have an 11/16"? If loose it may fit.

I have come across a few 18mm bolts on Japanese cars.

Reply to
Fredxx

ISTR I have an old socket set somewhere with some AF sockets. I might have to see if I can find it.

Reply to
John Rumm

In comparative ignorance here, but isn't 18mm 3/8" Whit and/or 7/16" BSF? I have sets of Whit and BSF spanners from the days of tinkering with my MG TC.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Like 9mm Allen keys. They exist but not present in many sets.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

An M12 nut is *supposed to be* 19mm across the flats, don't see why a flanged nut should be different?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

And 9 mm SDS and to a lesser extent ordinary masonary drills.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No notice enclosed " for your convenience this set does not include an 18mm option"?

Reply to
Cynic

This link suggests that the ISO standard is 18mm:

This link suggests that the ISO standard is, as above, 18mm, but the DIN standard is 19mm.

As does Wiki:

polygonum_on_google

I recently had to buy an 11mm Allen key. Thanks to the internet they are not to difficult to get, but in the past I saw the solution was to file down the next size up.

Reply to
Pancho

I've got a Powerfix (Lidl) set of combination spanners here, and that does include 18mm.

Just checked my 'car' toolbox too, and there's a Halfords pro combination

18mm in that too. And in the socket set.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

+1 Halfords Pro includes 18mm
Reply to
bert

Isn't it 11 or 12 mm that is often missing from some sets, I suspect there is a preferred set of sizes in a standard somewhere.

Also quite a lot of Allen key sets are missing 7mm, which is common on brake calipers.

Reply to
newshound

12mm is missing from many, and again common on Japanese cars.

Yes, as I have found out to my cost.

Reply to
Fredxx

10, 13, 17, 19, 22
Reply to
DJC

That's the trouble with cheap sets.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

My fairly modest Hilka 1/4" small socket set has 4 to 13 - but no 12 - in standard sockets and 6 to 12 in deep sockets.

Just have to hope I don't need a deep socket for a 13 or a standard socket for a 12 - but at least it does have both.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I always wonder at the 'missing' 12 or 13 mm spanners as both sizes are very common, in fact it seems quite common to have 12mm bolts with

13mm nuts which can be very confusing sometimes.

I have so many socket sets around that I think I can find every mm size from 4 (or even less) up to something well past 30. I just needed a 27mm (for removing FJR1300 rear wheel - puncture!) and I have a 3/4" drive set with that. I have got some 46mm spanners and sockets, for the tractor. With the addition of AF spanners (of which I have a multiplicity) I can fit most nuts. (Hmm, is there a double entendre there?)

Reply to
Chris Green

I recently bought an inexpensive set of Forstner bits going from 14 to, IIR C, 25, then a few larger ones. Total of 16. A large part of the reason was that all my other big hole bits (spade and Forstner) were both pretty crap and I always ended up needing sizes that were not included in sets. For exa mple, a current Bosch spade bit set has 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28 and 32mm (and listed at £17.99 from Screwfix) - in my book, stupid gaps.

For a particular purpose, I'd bought one fairly cheap eBay 24mm Forstner bi t and it worked very well. Hence, pushing the boat out.

For less than £12 they are actually quite good. Sharp and clean cuttin g.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Which to be fair, all of mine are! Perhaps one day I should treat myself to a decent set.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
John Rumm